Why It's Important To Live On Your Own At Least Once

It will be the best decision you will make in your 20s.

662
kavya.vidyarthi

This semester I have had the blessing and curse to live on my own. My roommate studied abroad this semester and I didn't want to live with anyone else. I will admit, I was nervous. Would I feel lonely? Will I be able to afford it? Will I hate living alone? All of these questions went through my head.

It turns out that it was one of the best decisions I have made in my college career. While living alone you gain a newfound independence, confidence and you will learn a lot about yourself.

You will gain independence because it will be the first time that you won't have someone in the next bed or room, and you make a lot of your own decisions. When you live with your family or friends you tend to compromise and do things they want to do, but when you live alone it's up to you to decide what to eat, watch on television, or whether or not you want the ceiling light on. You'll also realize that you can do things on your own. You don't need someone to support you because you can support yourself, and that is an amazing feeling.

You gain confidence because now that you don't have anyone living with you, you have to get out of your room or apartment and go make new friends. You have to put yourself out there or else you will feel lonely. From constantly getting out and making new friends, or hanging out with people you are already friends with, it helps your confidence. You will become a social butterfly (if you choose to).

You will also learn a ton about yourself. When you live alone you can have a lot of "me time." By spending time alone, you will learn what you do and don't like, what you want out of life, and that maybe that you are a little weird. And that is all OK because once you live with someone else again, or you get into a relationship with somebody you know who you are and you are fully confident in that.

However, there are downsides. You will occasionally get lonely—especially if you aren't putting yourself out there and hanging out with friends. It could also get expensive. You will be responsible for getting all of your groceries, paying all of your bills and other pricey things. Also, you'll have to get your own toilet paper (Now that stuff is expensive).

But in the end, you will miss living with someone. It's always nice coming home to someone after a bad day, or when you really need a pep talk late at night. When you live alone, you no longer have that luxury—and really, that's the most difficult part. It can get lonely at times, but in the end...taking that leap is totally worth it.