Why Is It That Only Sad Stories Are Ever Broadcasted?

You Never See Stories About What Good Is Going On...

51

Has anyone noticed that stories on news channels or stories in general are not always happy ones or ones with good news? As I get older, I've realized that you don't often see news articles or news stories that are happy or say what's going on in the community that's good - it's always about something negative. I never really thought about why that is until I caught myself always writing about things that were negative or sad. Then, it hit me.

People don't always share the stories that show positivity because it doesn't catch the eye of readers, but you know what does? Sad stories and stories that show pain and that people can relate to. But how I think about it is, everyone complains that there is so much wrong in the world and you see how everyone has anxiety or depression and if you tell someone you have anxiety or depression, all of the sudden, you’re just like everyone else.

But I don’t see anyone making any changes in how things are written or played out in the media to change any of this.

If all everyone is seeing is sad and negative things, it becomes a social norm to believe that you should be that way, too. When all you see on TV are stories about what’s going wrong in the world, it gets you thinking, "Is there anything good going on in this world?" But, if you really think about it, there is. But all the news stations and government want is the publicity and for people to read and watch “New Breaking” stories.

Is an apartment fire really News Breaking if it didn’t leave a family homeless and they needed the help of the community? Apartment fires are heartbreaking, yes, don’t get me wrong. But there are people spending their Thanksgiving morning handing out meals to people who can’t afford them or don’t have families to spend them with or who are homeless. But do we see articles and stories like this on TV every day? No. That’s the sad thing.

Media has lost sight of what is supposed to be shown for their own ratings. You see stories like, “Shooting in Troy.” “16 year old girl hit and killed by train.” Stories like those are very sad and touch home to many people. The real question is, what can we do to change how things are portrayed through media and news stations? Do news stations think about the family when they come up with these headlines and put the details in there? No. Their only thinking about their ratings and how many people are going to read that article. There is so much good that goes on this world that no one ever gets the chance to see due to the fact reporters are scared viewers won’t read it and they’ll get in trouble.

But that’s the thing - stories shouldn’t be about ratings and just getting the story out there. People are trying to make a difference in a world and many think that is so hateful, but no one ever gets the chance to see that not everyone is hateful and people want to make a change in how things are done. Like myself, some don’t realize they're doing it because it’s easier to write an article or paper about experiences you’ve had and been through because people can relate to it easily. Not everyone has had good experiences and a good life, but it’s about how you want to change. Not only do reporters make graphic headlines, they show graphic pictures taken at scenes of crimes and for some families, it is heartbreaking and violating in a way that reporters have no remorse and use these pictures. That is something all too real for me when I lost my best friend in 2016 and they posted a picture of her covered with a white sheet.

A difference can’t be made if all people see is negativity every day. Be the change you always wanted to see in the world.