Why I'm Thankful To Be A Writer

Every week I sit down and write an article for Odyssey, and the fact that I have the freedom to put my thoughts out there every week is truly a gift for me.

In various ways, I think writing has shaped me into who I am, and is still shaping me. From a young age, while everyone else was complaining about doing spelling homework, and writing essays or papers, I was always more than eager to pull out a pencil and paper or a computer and start writing. There's nothing more satisfying than being able to formulate exactly what you want to say and get it out on paper or online. Writing is an art form, it takes precision and patience. It means dedicating yourself to sitting down despite being wrapped up in life's events and getting your thoughts down. This process and concept of writing has always been so fascinating to me.

Now that I'm in college and am studying Communications/Journalism, I've realized that writing is my true passion. Without it, I have no clue what I would be doing. But I'm also learning that journalism does not just require the ability to write, but the ability to report, photograph, investigate, to really commit yourself to a piece. Journalism is something much more complex and bigger than writing, it's been a way to connect people around the world for centuries.

There's nothing more terrifying yet exhilarating than knowing that my writing has the potential to reach many people. I have the power to reveal my true thoughts and stories, and other people's as well. Like I mentioned before, to me, writing is a gift. It's a gift given to us to tell others stories of what's happening, to keep us updated consistently, to make us laugh, cry and think. The thought of having a job that I can create content that reaches people in all of those ways excites me, because what other job can do all those things through writing a story?

Not many, that's for sure. So when I say I'm studying Communications/Journalism, most people nod and say "that's great". I know they're slightly skeptical because they think that newspapers are dying, and that I'll never get a steady job. I do agree, newspapers have declined, but the world of journalism and writing is expanding. It's moving to digital, it's reaching more people. Sure it's competitive, it requires a lot of work. But there is nothing that I will let get in my way from going after my true passion for writing and delivering the best stories I possibly can.

Writing is my gift that keeps on giving, and I am thankful for every opportunity to say what I can through it.