Why Ignorance May Not Necessarily Be All That Blissful

Knowledge is power and the more we spread our own, the more we all can grow.

233
Madison Skye Howell
"Imagine there's no countries. It isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, and no religion, too.." - John Lennon

Throughout my whole life, I have been a little skeptical about any and all religion. I don't intend for this statement to turn you off immediately if you are religious. I just find all religions interesting because each has its own unique history, beliefs, and practices.

And I recognize the fact that not all religions are created equal, in a general sense. I also don't necessarily identify with one in particular. From my mind and experiences, I have come to think of religion in a very broad sense: there are over four thousand religions, practiced by over seven billion people, all over the world. Each individual has his or her own belief, stemming from the ideals of a particular person or group from the past.

All of them, ultimately, attempt to answer questions we all ponder: Why are we here? And what happens when we die?

And although there are so many different explanations to these questions, is there really only one "right" answer?

These are questions that really intimidated me as a kid. Growing up an anxious little wreck, I remember the thought of death paralyzing me in the middle of the night. I remember going to Christian church camps when I was younger and coming out with many questions about God and how he could be.

And then I started to learn about other religions, and how their beliefs contrasted with the those of Christianity. I wondered where I fit in and what my own beliefs were. In attempts to make sense of it all, I came up with a theory in my head that whatever you believed in, is, in fact, what your fate would be after death. But now, as I grow older, I suppose that sounds a little too good to be true.

Everyone has a personal spiritual journey as a part of his or her life here on Earth. There are many factors that contribute to one's own religious beliefs. I've witnessed many debates, or arguments, between individuals over religious differences.

The world has seen destruction, war, and persecution due to differences in religions.

In the documentary Religulous (a film I highly recommend if it sounds interesting to you), Bill Maher states, "the irony of religion is that because of its power to divert man to destructive courses, the world could actually come to an end. The plain fact is, religion must die for mankind to live... Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think they do."

I, too, acknowledge this irony of religion. Whether or not I agree with the opinion that "religion must die for mankind to live" is questionable, but it is an idea that crosses my mind from time to time. At the same time, I've seen religion provide wonderful opportunities for people in my life.

Personally, it has led me to meet many amazing people from different churches I have attended. I see the remarkable hope and comfort it can give people. I believe in standing firm in your own beliefs, but does this give you the right to impose your beliefs on others with force? I mean for this to be a rhetorical question for you, and one I continue to contemplate myself.

I also notice a spectrum of devotion to a religion within different religions. By this I mean I come in contact with people that seem to know so definitely their fate and why you, too, should hop in their religion-mobile and ride confidently into the arms of [insert prophet of choice].

Then there are those who claim a religion but do not necessarily agree with all of the teachings and practices. There are extremists in all religions. There are atheists. There are agnostics (which, if you asked me to pick a religion or categorize myself as believing in a certain faith, I would probably choose to tell you this is what I am currently).

I have attended church, prayed and attempted to talk to God in the past.

Now, I look to the universe and cry out existential questions. I feel loud in my own head because I do not know if I am being heard by something greater, or what is beyond us. But the more knowledge and insight I gain from different perspectives on this topic, the more open-minded and understanding I feel I become. The closer I feel I'm getting to a light at the end of this seemingly never-ending tunnel that leads to true spirituality and what it really means to me.

To coexist means "to exist in mutual tolerance despite different ideologies or interests." I dream about coexistence all over the world. But at the same time, I wonder if it's practical when it comes to religion. I want to believe it is possible.

There are many similarities in the teachings of different religions, and everyone interprets the teachings in his or her own way. Muhammad Ali once said, "Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams. Religions have different names, but all contain truth." I try to take in aspects of the different religions I continue to learn about into consideration when going about my day to day life.

Maybe someone, or something, out there will lead us all to know what comes after this life as existential beings before we face death ourselves. Or, maybe not. But when it comes to this controversial topic, I do whole-heartedly believe it is essential not to overlook the fact that everyone does not have the same beliefs, and most likely never will.

However, this does not mean we have to live in ignorance of others or silence our own voices. As you and I continue to search for meaning in this life, may we each use our own unique seeds of knowledge to produce a beautiful garden of diverse thoughts and ideas, flowers in a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes.

May we use the water provided by this Earth to nourish each other's seeds and stay eager to see what comes of them, before thoughtlessly stomping them into the ground or leaving them to die.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, But I'm not the only one.
I hope some day you'll join us, And the world will be as one."