Why I Identify With This Mother Possum

Why I Identify With This Mother Possum

It sounds a lot weirder than it actually is.
19

Upon scrolling through Facebook today, I happened to stumble upon a video of a mother possum carrying her babies in the most peculiar way. Essentially, the mother carries her babies on her back. The babies just hang on to the mother in the best way they can, and the mother walks as she usually would. When I saw this video, I initially thought it was simply a cute little clip meant to cheer someone up or make someone smile. Then, I got to thinking. This mother possum is actually me.

No, I don't mean that I look like a possum or I have a tendency to eat left-over garbage on the side of the curb for trash day, I mean this possum is me, carrying my friends on my back, when we go out on a Saturday night. I know this is a strange analogy, but you know what I mean. When my friends have a little too much to drink, I instantly go into mom mode. I will do anything and everything to make sure my friends make it out of the bar safely, much like mother possum here ensures that her babies make it from point A to point B just fine. In fact, I once had to carry my best friend out of a bar and help her stand up right in order to get her to the Uber we were going to ride home in.

I'm not complaining here, I honestly like being the "mom" of the group. I don't mind making sure that my friends are surviving and thriving. I would rather make sure everyone else is doing alright than have to worry about something happening to one of us while we go out. In order to be a good "mom" of the group, you have to sometimes make sacrifices. If I have to sacrifice a wild night out to help out a friend that needs it, I'm happy to do so. I'm sure this mother possum feels the same way about her offspring.