natural, skincare, health, switch

Why I made The Switch To Healthier Products

I want to live a long, healthy life like most people. This is one way I'm trying to keep that dream alive.

99

Let's face it, many body lotions, makeup products, and skincare are filled with cancer-causing and toxic ingredients. Things like parabens (methylparaben and propylparaben) and sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate are the first things I look for when buying a new product. It doesn't matter what it is, but if it's going on my skin, it has to be free of those ingredients. Propylene glycol is another ingredient I look out for, but I'm not as wary as I am with parabens and SLS.

I cut out all of the paraben and SLS infested shampoos, conditioners, soaps, lotions, toothpaste, and makeup IMMEDIATELY one day in 10th grade. Now, why did I decide to make the switch? I had attended Summer at Brown the Summer before and had heard some students talking about how they wash their hair every other day. Now I, a germaphobe and clean freak, was wondering why in the world a person wouldn't wash their hair every day. So, I asked. I then learned that it strips your hair of its natural oils and it's actually best to wash your hair every three to four days to keep it at its healthiest. This got me thinking, what other things am I doing wrong in my hygiene routine? I started researching and learned about the possible harmful effects parabens and SLS have on your body all ranging from harming your uterus to causing cancer, to skin problems. I was upset because I felt like all of these companies were lying to their consumers and profiting off of our ignorance, my ignorance. I quit all of the products I was using, and went out and bought all-natural and organic products. Deodorant was the hardest product to switch because aluminum in deodorant is what stops sweat, but aluminum is a possible cause of breast cancer. I have found that TOMS deodorant is not good for my particular body, but Schmidt's deodorant is the best and works better than Dove or any mainstream deodorant I used to use. Oh, and it won't give me breast cancer.

There are different studies that suggest for and against the use of parabens, SLS, propylene glycol, and aluminum, but I choose to live my life risk-free. There may be some ingredients that affect your body differently, and it's important to be proactive and know yourself. If you're concerned about the products you're using but are scared to make the switch, then just swap out one or two things every few days or weeks. All that matters is that you're trying to use better products for your body.