Why Hockey Is The Best Sport

Why Hockey Is The Best Sport

There are actually a million reasons, but here are a few.

53
Why Hockey Is The Best Sport
Wordpress

Several years ago, I found myself flipping through the channels and landing on some random sports network because there was literally nothing else on. It was a hockey game. It took approximately five minutes for me to be absolutely, completely hooked. It was a regular season game between the Washington Capitals and the Philadelphia Flyers. I remember watching Alexander Ovechkin skate down the ice, weaving through all the players, shooting the puck that I couldn't even see, and scoring in one spectacular goal followed by a great celebration with his teammates. I was sold. From that moment, I have been in love with hockey. My love for hockey has only grown in the years following and today, if you show even the slightest interest in hockey, I will be your new best friend. Being a hockey fan in the south means that anyone repping hockey memorabilia is immediately awesome and to everyone else, I have to explain how completely awesome of a sport hockey is.

Hockey easily requires more skill than any other sport. They use a 2"-3" wide stick of wood to hit a 1" thick piece of vulcanized rubber into a 6-foot wide net all while skating on ice. Hockey players have to be able to ice skate incredibly well. Hockey players have to be fast, strong, and balanced. Playing any sport professionally takes skill. Basketball, football, and baseball require skill on their own, but they are all played on the solid ground. Hockey is done on the ice, making it even more amazing!

Hockey is fast-paced. They are allowed one official time out to get together, but other than that, the only time the team can huddle is during media timeouts or during a stoppage of play. The line changes are made throughout the game without stopping the clock. This creates a game that is always moving. Hockey demands your attention, but I give it freely.

Hockey has fights. These fights are real and rather frequent. I do not really know the origin of why hockey and fighting are so correlated, but they are. When long-time rivals face off, you know there will be plenty of fights to watch. The best part is, the refs just let it happen. Obviously, they step in when it gets too much, but for the most part, the referees understand that fights happen. Even when players are fighting, there is still a tone of respect. If a player is down in an awkward position and the referees are stepping in, you will not see any cheap hits. Fights aren't the reason I watch hockey, but it is an added plus.

Hockey has some of the best players in the world. Not only are they uniquely talented, but they also are some of the toughest professional athletes. Hockey players lose teeth for the sport they love and continue on. Got a slap shot to the face? They wipe the blood off and continue on. Hockey players are some of the most laid back and kindest people as well. The ECHL's South Carolina Stingrays recreated the "Jingle Bell Rock" scene from Mean Girls. Jarome Iginla from the NHL's Colorado Avalanche donates $2,000 to charity for every goal he scores. After losing in game 7 of the playoffs, Brooks Laich from the NHL's Washington Capitals stopped and changed a tire for a fan. There wouldn't be a hockey game if it were not for the amazing players on and off the ice.

Hockey is surrounded by history and tradition. Hockey is covered in traditions. One of my favorite traditions is tossing items onto the ice. Different teams throw different items onto the ice for various reason. The NHL's Detroit RedWings throw octopi onto the ice. Many teams in different leagues have some sort of teddy bear toss to donate to charity, and of course, there is the hat toss after a player scores a hat trick. Other traditions include growing a playoff beard and goalie taunting. Another tradition that is fairly new is the Winter Classic. The Winter Classic is held on New Year's Day in an outdoor arena. Hockey is a special sport with many traditions that the fans can take place in.

Hockey has the Stanley Cup. The Stanley Cup is a huge deal in hockey. It is the championship trophy awarded to the winning team in the NHL. The first cup was awarded in 1893. Unlike other trophies for a major professional sports team, the Stanley Cup is not made new each year. After a team wins the Stanley Cup their team name is engraved onto a band of the cup. The Stanley Cup is extraordinarily special because over the summer during the off season, each member of the winning team gets to have the cup and document their experience. The Stanley Cup has been on top of mountains and in pools. It has been used to baptize children and feed dogs. The Stanley Cup has served ice cream to some of the best hockey players is the nation. Every player gets to use the cup in whichever way they seem fit. The Cup has even visited hospitals and charities.

Being a hockey fan is no joke. I have spent tons of money on tickets, jerseys, shirts, and other various merchandise, but I can say without a doubt it has all been worth it. While I don't play hockey, it is basically my life. I love it. Hockey is clearly the best sport ever. If you aren't convinced yet, check out a game for yourself! Go Caps!