Why Healthy Relationships Are So Important

They help you focus on the good things in life.

Being a part of an organization that raises awareness for domestic violence has helped me reflect on my own relationships. I haven't always had friendships that were making me into a better person. I've had friendships where they would tear me down more than they would build me up. It wasn't until a year into college that I realized this.

College is hard. I'm not going to sugar coat that statement. People always say that it the best four years of your life, but sometimes I have to question this. Although I have made so many good friends, it has been hard to tell what some peoples true intentions are.

Ever since I have surrounded myself with people who share the same values as me, things have gotten so much better. I feel so much more confident in myself and as a result, have been challenging myself. The relationships and friendships that I have built have pushed me to be a better version of myself.

Relationships are supposed to build you up and not tear you down. We have to realize that the other person isn't always going to be able to give 100 percent. Sometimes we have to give more than they do, but that's okay. That's what being a good friend is.

I took me a long time to let go of people who weren't good for me. I try to see the best in everyone, but there comes a point where you have to care about yourself a little more. The friendships that I have right now have taught me that love shouldn't hurt. A healthy relationship is one where you can trust and support one another. I'm so glad that I have found my worth through these friendships.