Why Grades Will Never Determine Your Success

Just because you fail a class doesn't mean you are a failure.
347

As the spring semester is upon us, we are telling ourselves that we are ‘determined’ to get straight A’s this semester. That we will study for at least four hours a night, and to stay on top of things. As we all know this is true for ever college student, for about a week. Then life kicks in. You have to work after class, you get sick, or you procrastinate everything to the very last minute. Then things get harder as the semester goes on, and it seems that the more you study, the worse you do on quizzes and exams.

Going through high school and college, everyone talks about grades. People are going around comparing ACT scores and talking about how ‘bad’ they are doing when they got a 90 on a test. Those people drive me, (and I’m sure they drive you too) crazy. They can make you feel discouraged, and maybe a little stupid, which is exactly what you aren’t.

As a millennial, our generation is still in high school/college, and maybe just being a few years out of college. We are a pretty emotional generation, and that we sometimes let words get to us. Hearing about how well people did on a test, or that they got into a really hard school/program, can make us feel a little under accomplished. You compare those scores to your scores, and how well you do, and it makes you feel like garbage. You are trying your hardest and studying really hard, why aren’t you getting the same scores as them?

Here is the answer: there is no answer. That’s just the way it is. Some people naturally retain and pick up on information easier than others and are really good at school. However, you (the one who struggles with getting good grades, even though you study your a** off) are at an advantage. With all of the studying and extra miles you are going to understand a concept, you are building a work ethic.

When you get out into the real world, and find a real job, are they going to sit and go through your transcripts and see how you did in English 101 freshman year? No, they are going to see that you went to college and got some degree and have some higher education, they don’t care what grade you got in that class.

Now, let’s say that you get hired. You are completely qualified for the job. You have been there for a little while, and you begin to apply yourself, working hard to make sure you do the right job, and understand things clearly so you can do your job correctly.

Your boss sees that you are improving the company and working really hard (based off your work ethic that you developed throughout your academic career) and…you get promoted because you are applying yourself and working hard! So, let me ask you this, does this have anything to do with how well you did in a class? No!

Don’t get me wrong, work hard in school and always try to get A’s, but if you don’t it’s not the end of the world. If you are working hard and trying your very best, that is all that matters. Grades do not determine success, you do.