10 November 2017 // At General Contributor

Why God? When Tragedy Strikes Our Faith

God, why does it seem like you allow bad things to happen to your people?

Rebekah Baker

It’s Sunday morning and you’re worshiping God singing with all of your heart alongside of friends and family. You anticipate what the message that the pastor has will be about. Suddenly your whole world is turned upside down due to the evil Satan has placed in someone’s heart. That person stormed in and began to shoot at everyone you know including yourself. The first thoughts that are running through your mind are most likely: “Are my family and friends okay?” “Am I okay?” “Why is this happening GOD?”. But at this point you just know your life has been changed forever.

Well on November 5th, 2017 that is exactly what was happening at a small Baptist church in Sutherland Springs, Texas at about 11:20 a.m. is when the first call came in for help (foxnews.com). It has become the deadliest shooting in Texas history and tied with the Sandy Hook School Shooting for 4th deadliest in U.S. history (abcnews.go.com). 26 innocent people were murdered and at least 10 to 20 people were wounded (cnn.com). The ages of the people that were murdered are anywhere from 18 months old to 77 years old (abcnews.go.com). That means somebody’s mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, niece and nephew were taken from someone that loved them dearly. Another sad fact that were among the dead is the Pastor Pomeroy’s daughter 14-year-old Annabelle Renee Pomeroy (cnn.com).

I cannot imagine being the pastor and hearing that there was a shooting at your church and hearing that your daughter was among the dead. Pastor Pomeroy’s and his wife’s world was forever changed not only was their daughter taken from them, but their church family was torn apart. I can’t imagine the anger that was taking place and the questions that were being asked because of the brokenness inside their hearts.

God never plans anything evil in our lives. Only Satan himself plans the evil.

We have all lost someone that we loved and cared about to something. We have all been in that dark place of being angry toward God. Wondering what did we do to deserve something that we love to be taken away from us. Psalm 34:18 says “The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit.” Even when tragedy strikes us God is still with us while we are bruised and crushed in spirit.

This is the time to pray and support each other and have the faith that God calls us to have. Isaiah 41:10 says “Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’” God promises to be with us though the hard times of grieving over our losses. Our only answer is that we know that Satan comes to steal, kill and destroy things that are loved by God and that are for God’s good purpose in life. John 10:10 “The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.” That is all that Satan has planned for our lives, but God has great things for us to come.

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

Sutherland Springs, Texas our thoughts and our prayers go out to you and your families.

Pastor Pomeroy and First Lady y’all are in our thoughts and prayers for your loss.