Fraternity Hazing Hurts Everyone And It Has To Stop, NOW

Let's put an end to all of this fraternity hazing.

693
Paul Shen

Over the last year, there have been two high-profile hazing situations in Greek Life that have caused two young men to lose their lives. One of them happened at Louisiana State University about one month ago, and another happened about 8 months ago at Penn State University. It's obvious that the fraternities involved at these two schools didn't take it seriously enough, hence why a young man at each of those universities lost their lives.

But worse, enforcement hasn't either.

In the case at Penn State, the judge overseeing the case dropped charges of involuntary manslaughter and aggravated assault, the most serious charges, and the brothers involved obviously didn't care enough for their fallen brother, as they failed to call 911. Not only did they fail, they were 'unwilling', which is shameful towards not just a fraternity, but an entire university. One person doesn't define a university, but such actions shed an unnecessary negative perception on a university, a reputation-damaging move. Seriously, don't be that person.

Instead, be the person who helps out when it's needed most.

On the other hand, it's great to see that the national chapter at Louisiana State University, as well as LSU itself, took action by suspending their Phi Delta Theta fraternity indefinitely, as they have reasonable suspicion to assume that hazing contributed towards the death of Maxwell Gruver. At Penn State, there was similar reasonable suspicion, but the most serious charges were dropped. That's terrible. Luckily, the fraternity involved has also been sanctioned. But still, dropping the most serious charges tells you that the judge is willing to let defendants off easier than they deserve. In that situation, no matter what level of involvement, nobody should get off easy.

Every fraternity chapter says they have a zero-tolerance policy to hazing, but how many chapters actually enforce it, and enforce it willfully? That's up for debate. It shouldn't be. Everybody should enforce it willfully.

These instances at Louisiana State and Penn State are just two of them, but they speak volumes about what needs to be done moving forward. Both instances involved alcohol, and both instances involved dangerous activities that led to a young man's death. It's foul and abnormal activity.

The first step has already been taken, which is to sanction the group involved. Then they actually have to enforce their zero-tolerance policy and be very strict about it. It's important to know that these cases are enough to remind us how deadly the repercussions are, regardless of intent. The impact is what matters, and the cases at Louisiana State and Penn State have impacted, and still impact, families who lost a son, students who lost their fraternity to sanctions, and people who are going through a legal process and now facing punishment. Think before you act.

Fraternity hazing happens in other ways too, such as through sex, or drugs. The unseen reality is, pledges are not the only ones who get hazed by fraternities. Those who attend their parties do too. For example, fraternities will define the worth of a girl who attends a party associated with said fraternity based on superficial matters, such as how many guys are currently at the party, how 'hot' she is, or a monetary value. The girls who are admitted to such parties are being used essentially to entertain guys and keep them company, and that IS hazing. So is instructing pledges to do dangerous activities.

Sororities don't haze their pledges, so take that as an example to follow. Additionally, FOLLOW THE RULES. Yes, fraternity leadership, I'm talking to YOU. You KNOW that the legal age of alcohol consumption is 21, and you AREN'T above the law under ANY circumstances. For the pledges, your temporary overlords who put you through those grueling experiences are NOT above the law either. The dangers of such grueling experiences they put you through are absolutely disgusting. You'll see them on the floor of the fraternity house.

Those who haze you (should) respect your decision to drop out of the process if you do so, but what they do to you is nothing short of dangerous. It's embarrassing that they possibly don't know so. Even worse, they may be aware that what they do is dangerous but completely ignore it. No one is immune. For all parties, be it pledge, leader, or anyone pertaining to the fraternity, my advice to you is to be smart about what you're doing, and KNOW the consequences.

Sure, you can look back in time and laugh about all the dangerous things you went through when you did them, but what did you really learn from that? It shows that you're tough and up for a challenge, but it's embarrassing to display your toughness in that manner. Your behavior in this process shows that you don't understand what's normal and what's not normal even if you show that you're able to do it. Fraternity hazing is NOT normal. But you submit to it because you don't care or know about the consequences, and since the membership is all that really matters for you, you'll do anything for it.

But all you really get out of qualifying for that fraternity membership is that you almost wreck yourself (or you already wrecked yourself) before you check yourself, and through that process, those who haze you don't really care about you. Only once you've qualified do you then get to do the rewarding things that truly impact you. Until then, you're treated the same way as the fraternity house appears after a long party. Would you ever want to call that your home?

I understand that fraternity membership is exclusive and selective, that you want badly to be a part of it, and that hazing might be used to separate the men from the boys, but the culture that is currently in place is one that you should be ashamed of.

I want you (those in the fraternities who have been punished or implement some form of hazing) to know that even though I alone can't change your process of membership selection, it's worth understanding what impact your process has, has had, and will continue to have. You are the ones who are responsible for it. You put yourself in this position.

I understand that being in a fraternity changes you and impacts you greatly, but is the process you go through to be in one really the best way? Your intent is for everybody to have the best experience possible, but with the things that have gone on at Louisiana State and Penn State pertinent to fraternity hazing, it's obvious that when fraternity hazing exists, no one does.

Fraternity hazing hurts everyone. Needless to say, it's a messy situation. That's why zero-tolerance policies are in place. But they need to be enforced and enforced willfully.

To all the fraternity brothers, I'm going to warn you right now. You did this to yourself. The guys who are rushing aren't the only ones who are impacted by fraternity hazing. Their families are stricken too. Brothers are as well. Entire Greek communities and universities are also hit hard. Additionally, girls who attend fraternity parties are hazed, and they are victims of it just like Maxwell Gruver or Tim Piazza were. Until fraternity hazing is removed from the process, events like these WILL continue to happen. You can't have that anymore. I'm dead serious. It hurts everyone and it must be taken seriously.

So let's put an end to all of this fraternity hazing. It needs to go.