Why Forgiveness Is For You, Not Them

Why Forgiveness Is For You, Not Them

Set yourself free from the demons that threaten to hold you back.

379
Why Forgiveness Is For You, Not Them
Madison Sutton

For much of my life, I believed that forgiving someone only benefitted them. I assumed that if I held a grudge against my sister for stealing my clothes or my friends for going out with out me, then I was only hurting them. However, I have come to learn that that is not how resentment works.

Harboring resentment against people or situations can only hurt you further. I have learned this first-hand, and it was not an easy lesson to learn.

Recently, I have gone through a major transition in my life and moved back home from school for a semester so I could go through treatment. Throughout this process I was hurt by some friends, an ex boyfriend, and most importantly myself. I have come face to face with resentment, regret, and the yearning for revenge. I wanted to rectify the situation. I refused to accept what had happened to me at face value. But harboring all of these feelings of anger and malice merely hurt me further.

After months of deliberation, I have found solace in the ideas of radical acceptance and forgiveness.

I know what you're thinking- what the Hell is radical acceptance and how does that have anything to do with forgiveness or healing? Radical acceptance is the process of fully accepting a situation with every fiber of your being, no matter how much it hurts. I gave up a lot to get my life back on track and seek help for my eating disorder. When I went into treatment I was forced to give up my dream school, Auburn University. I lost friends that couldn't find it in themselves to understand what I was going through. I was broken up with by my boyfriend of nine months, over the phone, three days into treatment. I lost my identity- that of an anorexic girl- that of the girl that I thought I knew. I was furious and resentful. I blamed myself, I blamed my eating disorder, I blamed everyone around me. I was so lost in denial that I couldn't move on; I just festered in my feelings.

I refused to forgive those "horrible people" that hurt me when I was at my worst. They deserved to be punished for what they had done to me- I was sure that God would spite them. Hell, if He didn't, then I'd find a way to do it my-damn-self. I was stuck in this frame of mind for months; and I say stuck because it is impossible to move on and grow while feeling that way.

Eventually, I realized that I was wrong. Sure, I wasn't jumping for joy over the relationships that I had lost, I wasn't feeling all warm and fuzzy about my ex, and I certainly wasn't over any of it. Maybe what they did wasn't right, but what I was doing wasn't right either.

They had already hurt me- why was I giving them the power to hurt me further?

So I stopped giving them that power. I stopped going through my days with resentment in my heart. I started to let what they did to me go, little by little. And it was the most liberating experience I have ever had. I felt lighter, powerful, and worthy. Worthy of people that wont hurt me- worthy of a healthier life.

I didn't forgive the people that hurt me to ease their consciences. I doubt they even know that I brooded over those situations for months and I bet that they still don't know that I have forgiven them. But that is not important. What's important is that I have found it in myself to forgive them. What's important is that I have grown from these trials and tribulations and that I have come out the other side free from resentment and denial.

I have never been happier to have been hurt.

As C. R. Strahan once said, "Forgiveness has nothing to do with absolving a criminal of his crime. It has everything to do with relieving oneself of the burden of being a victim--letting go of the pain and transforming oneself from victim to survivor.”