Why I Enjoy New Year's

Why I Enjoy New Year's

The New Year is here and not a minute too soon.
2

Another long year has passed, and I find myself wondering where the time has gone. Just yesterday it felt like I was spending New Year's Eve with different people in a different state. A lot has changed over one year, but at the same time, it feels like nothing has changed at all. The older I've gotten, the more I felt how abstract time can be. A whole year used to feel like ages to me; now, I still find myself writing "2014" in the date. It's that bad.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not flowing with time. Human existence is a small speck compared to the universe's life; focusing on this fact would make life seem pointless. Some bugs live for only a day; focusing on this fact would make every second seem to count. Trying to think about how much and how little time I have is stressful.

That's why when the year ends, I tend to participate in New Year's resolutions as more of a tradition. There's something about the beginning of the year that inspires people and gives back some of the energy current events have taken. Even if, at the end of the day, the world and life is still the same, there's something special about this time.

Therefore, even if I have a hard time keeping up with time, and don't really buy into labeling a year as "good" or "bad", New Year's is still a time that fills me with joy. I get to watch people around me become energized with hope for the coming year. I enjoy giving myself challenges that I might not accomplish but at least inspire me. Some of the stress and anxiety sheds itself and leaves itself behind, and I can say time has healed me.