Why Education Majors Are Not Easy A's

Why Education Majors Are Not Easy A's

ED majors put in a lot of work, it is not just coloring pages and glitter glue

25
Why Education Majors Are Not Easy A's
Zoe Decker

Education majors: the easiest major, easy As, no work needed. That is what I have heard other people around my college say about being in the education field. I mean yes I am in it for the cool art projects but there is more to us ED majors than what meets the eye. We have a big work load ahead of us. Here is what I have learned over the years from previous teachers and current professors:

1. You need patience, in certain situations

I have been told countless times: "Oh you are going to be an elementary school teacher? You must have a lot of patience." Gee thanks, not like I have heard this more than 100 times. Well yes we do need patience because when you are in charge of 30 children and trying to get them to all listen to you is not as easy as it sounds because they have short attention spans and you constantly need to give direction. Even ask a high school teacher, students even then are quick to lose focus. But even then when a child just keeps acting up after numerous times where they were told not to terrorize the other children sometimes you just need to show that you will not have it. Just don't do it often.

2. Sick days do not exist, not even when you are dying. Oh and vacation too.

Let me break this down. When a teacher makes that fatal decision to take a sick day, they are basically adding to their work load. First they need to make a whole new lesson plan for the substitute, additional homework or some test, then grade that plus the work from the previous days. And if you miss more than just one day, say goodbye to your social life for a few days. You will be spending your weekend grading assignments up to your ears. Know that whole Christmas and summer vacation that teachers are graced with? Yeah those are just a lie. We have that luxurious time working on lesson plans and grading. And more planning. And even more grading. Plus we cut our vacation in half so we can get everything organized for the upcoming school year. So please enjoy your time off.

3. Parents are your friends, and enemies

Everyone has their own *that* person. But when a teacher has a *that* parent, it becomes a war. Either this person believes you are "too dumb" to do your job or they are that passive aggressive that hints that they can do your job better even though they do not have a teaching degree. This parent becomes your ultimate stalker and harasser for the next year and then some. Not to mention if they have siblings, then you get to spend a considerable amount of time with the parent who makes you feel like it is their personal job to make your life as miserable as possible. Then next year they are just replaced with another. Just another 40 or so more to go until retirement right?

4. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN AND YOU CANNOT PANIC NO MATTER WHAT

I will keep this one short. You are working with children, expect things to be 100 percent one moment then utter chaos like the world is ending two seconds later. I applaud every kindergarten teacher who gets through a day without any incident.

5. Standardized testing will always be your enemy

Teachers get flack when their students are not up to par with what the school deems as "average". Teachers have to take into account the students who are not on the same page as other students. Spend extra time on areas where students are having trouble learning. And sometimes students understand the material at the time but then when the test comes around they get anxiety because of the test itself. Students are taught to pass a test. Don't blame the teacher when the student is struggling and needs more help than others. But then again it ends up being your fault anyway.

There is one thing that I was taught that makes teaching all worth while: a teacher and their students are a family.

"The Ron Clark Story" was one of the best films about how hard teachers work everyday to make their students never give up on themselves, even if society does. Teachers are cheerleaders, guidance counselors, parents and friends when you need it. Teachers put in more work and love into their work than what some people realize. So the next time you meet an ED major thank them for their hard work and dedication.