Why Do We Love People Who Can't Love Us Back?

You deserve more than the love you think you deserve.

440

If you're like me, you've had someone in your life, or maybe your TV screen, that you've felt many feelings for. Whether it's just a crush or infatuation or possibly even love, you've felt some type of way. Loving someone is wonderful and special and crushes are great too, granted they mostly end with getting crushed, but still. It's a wonderful experience to have your whole body taken over by love, but why do we choose people who we know can never love us back?

That seems to be the question I've been asking myself lately. And I'm sure everyone has asked themselves it at least once. We're told that love is sacred and special and shouldn't just be given away to anyone, but sometimes we forget that. Sometimes we give our love to people who aren't fully deserving of it. And we know that. We know that we deserve so much better. Love shouldn't hurt us and make us cry but we let it because despite all of the bad and frustrating moments, the happy times are so great.

It's an awful day when we wake up and realize we're alone and the one person who's smile we can't wait to see doesn't want to see ours. We can't wait to kiss their lips or hold their hands or even just see them laugh. Their sleepy eyes and bed head is the perfect way to start your day, but the absolute worst as well. You want to tell them every day how great they actually are and how they deserve so much more than the life they're living. They deserve genuine happiness.

You can't help how you feel and you certainly can't ignore it. But at some point you have to put yourself first and move on. There is a reason why this other person can't love you. It's not part of your life plan or maybe they just don't love themselves enough to love anyone back. It sucks and it's awful and moving on is a lot easier said then done. One of my favorite books and movies is "The Perks of Being a Wallflower." In the book, Charlie's teacher tells him that we accept the love we think we deserve. Maybe that's why we love people who can't love us back. Maybe it's us. Or maybe we want so badly to help these people out that we give them all of our love and hope that they will accept it and be happy. There is no cure for this and there certainly isn't a way not to love people we shouldn't.

But, my darlings, you should be happy. You are in charge of your own happiness. You deserve more than the love you think you deserve. You can't do anything to make them love you. But you can always love yourself.