Why I Still Play Softball

Why I Still Play Softball

I have sacrificed everything for this game, and I would never change that
Adrian
Adrian
49

Anytime I wear my softball t-shirt out, I know that someone during the day will stop me and ask me the same question I always hear. “You play softball? For how long?” I usually respond in one of three ways, “Since I could walk," “Forever," or my favorite “Too long." But it hasn't been “Too long." Honestly softball is my favorite thing in the world; I play when I am happy, sad, angry, sick, and even hurt; it’s my go to. I play because I love the game.

No matter how much I love softball, there are so many things to hate. First off, I play all-year-round and don’t get a break longer than a week, ever. Whether I am hitting, pitching, fielding, throwing or conditioning I am always trying to improve myself. Also, my main season begins in early spring, and goes straight through until mid-fall. During all of that time, I spend every weekend playing softball. I do not get a weekend where I can go out with friends, or even go to the beach during the summer; every weekend is devoted to my sport. Another thing that I hate is how I am always at risk for injury. Over the years I have received several injuries including sprains in my shoulders, knees, ankles, a fracture in my L-4, and a broken nose. Finally, a small detail that bothers all players, is the outrageous tan lines you can never seem to even out. I leave for a weekend tournament and walk away with pale legs and body, a farmer’s tan, a glove tan on my hand, a nice v-shape on my chest, and then a sunglasses tan on my face. It is all a part of the game that I love.

No matter how much I may complain, I love softball and cannot get enough of it. I love the smell of the fresh cut grass and recently dragged field. I love the sound of my metal cleats on the concrete, which is the most intimidating, and annoying, sound there is. I love the team huddles before a big game; it is a rush of adrenaline when you hear your team’s name being shouted; it echoes in your ears. No matter how hard it is to wash, I love the white uniforms that I can never seem to get clean. When I get the ball at the pitcher’s mound I know it is time for business, and I am ready to win. I have sacrificed everything for this game, and I would never change that. When I throw my last pitch to end the game and a hush falls over the crowd, it reminds me of why I love the game. It is that rush you get when your team comes together and does the best they can; hopefully you get that big win but sometimes you don't and that’s okay. I love everything about softball and that will never change.