Why I Decided to Not Give Anything Up This Lent

Instead of pick something that really wouldn't lead me close to God, I decided this year I would add good practices to my life.

123
Holy Heroes

A regular practice for Christians around the globe during the forty days leading up to Easter and the celebration of Jesus' resurrection is giving up something. The usual suspects are chocolates and sweets, eating in between meals, social media, and swearing. I'm not saying these aren't admirable sacrifices to make if given up for the right reasons; in fact, if you are one of the masses who are giving up something this year, go you!

However for me, after years of trying to think up something worthy of giving up and searching for something possible to give up, this year giving something up didn't even come into my mind. In fact, giving up eating in between meals once helped to lead me into a dark place and wasn't done for the right reasons at all. I found that these sacrifices when through didn't really lead me any closer to God. Now, this is just me! Many people find great strength and peace from fasting from the things we've become accustomed to or dependent on. Major props to you people who are giving up your phone or social media!

I realized this wasn't the case because the time I was spending away from the items or habits weren't spent meditating on God or giving him the glory when I was able to endure going without. When done in the right way, giving something up can be highly beneficial to a person's faith life and overall life as well. But this can go south when it leads to irritability. I think we've all been around those people who begrudgingly and angerly talk about how they are missing out because they gave something up. That's not really leading anyone to God when our sacrifices lead to bitterness and disdain. It's also not really helpful when people blast their fast all over social media either.

Matthew 6:1 states, "Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."

Fasting something really difficult for accolades will get you just that and only that, accolades. Something done for God should be just that, something done for God. Now, if you are asking for help or prayers for strength, that is a different story. I hope that in talking about my plan this year I don't seem hypocritical. It's all about intention of why you are doing it! Before giving something up, make sure you really are doing it for the right reasons, such as abstaining from sweets for God first not to lose weight. If that's a by product, great, but make sure it really is first for God!

So instead, I have decided to add to my life instead. I know that seems like an oxymoron, adding something for a season all about sacrifice. Hear me out.

First, I am adding "listening more." I have a habit of talking...a lot. Sometimes I say things just for the sake of saying them, so i am sacrificing these unthoughtful responses. This is a way that I can grow relationships with others to take the time ti really hear what they are saying and valuing their words as I would hope people would value my words.

Second, I am adding "speaking kinder." Once again this touches on the above, I have a habit of responding for the sake of responding, and I don't always think through what I'm saying to question is what I'm saying valuable? Is it helpful? Will it be understood? Now I don't put too much stock in the words per se. Psychologically speaking, the actual words only attribute 7% to the message. Yet, this means sacrificing careless words.

Finally, I am adding playing music more to my life. I'm hoping to play my guitar , the piano, my mandolin, and sing more that I do now. Music is a passion of mine, and I realized that it is a gift from God to be able to sing and play instruments. In this I would be sacrificing less meaningful activities that I do like app-hopping ( I have a bad habit of going from Facebook to Instagram to Twitter to Snapchat, and cycle back through to Facebook again) or watching television. I will be trying to grow my ability and cultivating it, feeding into a God-given ability.

I haven't put a definition to what more means for any of these, but I think that may be a good things because we really can never do something enough to earn to grace of God. It is a gift from God, who is perfect. I can't say that a number means I'll have done enough. Instead, these additions are all about effort just as giving something up is. It will required active work and sacrifice, but at the end of the Lenten season, I don't want them to stop like giving something else stops, I want these to become constant habits that lead me closer to God and others.

Whether you've decided to give something up this Lenten season or are taking a non-traditional approach like me, I hope you have a blessed Lent full of personal growth in faith. God bless!

Sorry, had to include this one. I love "Hey Girl" memes and Ryan Gosling...mostly Ryan Gosling.