Why Dating Sucks: 2017 Edition

Why Dating Sucks: 2017 Edition

Last year was awful, this year started out awful... is there hope for dating?

1703
Why Dating Sucks: 2017 Edition
Sarah Espiritu

There was once another listicle that stated why last year was a terrible year for dating. Well, guess what? It's still relevant and there are even more reasons on why dating sucks in this day and age.

Welcome, dating-hopefuls and those who have already lost hope, but somehow wound up here. It's 2017, and dating still sucks.

Political Views

Yeah. Go ahead and let that blood boil right now. Regardless of how a person has voted, there's something about this last election that really gets people going. Vote for Clinton? You hate the safety of America. Vote for Trump? You hate women and are racist. Vote for Harambe and you're some kind of comedian, but also an idiot. Too many friendships have been ripped apart due to political differences — and friends are supposed to be forever--so in the dating world, it causes an immediate deal breaker.

The only walls I'm building are from anyone I'd potentially date. Ba dum tss.

"I Want You To Want Me"

You know like that song? "I need you to need me..." No one wants to be the first to admit they want to feel wanted, yet they want to feel wanted and say nothing.

Huh? Yeah, you heard it right. Read it again if you need to. It's like this scenario:

Babe: "Do you want to come over?"

Bae: "Do you want me to come over?"

Babe: "Why would I ask you if I didn't want you to come over?"

Bae: "But do you want me to come over."

Babe: "Well, do you want to come over?"

*INSERT EYEROLL HERE*

This is real life. I'll be the first to admit this has happened. Why? Because we both wanted to know that the other actually wanted to be there to spend time. No one just says they want the person to be there and it's assumed they ask out of obligation.

Try this instead: "Hey beautiful/handsome, come over because I want to spend time with you."

BOOM. Problem freaking solved. But probably not. It's a vicious cycle. You both have to say it to each other an equal amount of times or else one will feel like one is putting more effort.

Tinder is Tiring

We've previously stated that meeting people is hard and Tinder has downfalls, but after you get over trying to meet people organically... Tinder is so exhausting. Swiping, matching. Swiping, matching, chatting on app, end. Swiping, matching, chatting on app, exchanging numbers... then meeting in person. It's like you have to keep going in circles for nothing. If you're Tindering to hook up, yeah there's a lot of people out there, but sometimes people are looking for a little more than just that and really have no time to meet otherwise. You want something worth your time and substantial, and unfortunately, Tinder is your only option because it's on your own time.

What's annoying is that when people aren't actually interested, they just can't say so. They go through the many loopholes to save face — their own face.

I guess the positive is that it helps build a thicker skin.

Don't worry dude, I'm not still mad that we made plans three times and you've bailed. I wasn't even expecting our hang out to happen on the third time, I just did it for shits and giggles.

Past Relationships Have F*cked Them Up

That douchebag that previously broke her heart. That beyotch that played him. Whoever that person was, they're a key part of that person you're interested in not being able to be what you want. You need to know now, you can't change them. They've going to need to decide on their own to let their past determine their future.

One guy never rejected the woman paying because his ex sucked him of finances dry — it soon became that he barely paid or if it were the woman's plans, she'd have to cover it.

One woman couldn't understand that a man could think she was beautiful because the last guy emotionally abused her. She constantly wore him out by fighting his compliments.

You can choose to stay if it's worth your time, but know that your time is worth something too. People need people, but people also need alone time to grow on their own.

Casual Sex or Actual Relationship?

There are no judgments on anyone who just wants to have sex. Do your thang, honey.

But make it clear from the get-go that you just want that. Don't even try to butter them up with a "let me take you out" and all that bull.

Sure things can grow from there, but make it clear that you're primarily a horny man or woman who just needs to get laid. If you like spending time with that other human then, GO YOU! GO GET THAT RELATIONSHIP AND AMAZING SEX.

There are three things that could happen: one-night stand, friends with benefits, relationship. At least give them a heads up which of the three you're feeling like.

Conclusion #2: Dating Still Sucks

I'm sure it really isn't that bad for everyone. People in relationships give me hope for a better future — there's someone who hates the dating game as much as I do, and there's one out there for you, too. However, dating sucks because of the games people tend to play. No one wants to have feelings because it makes you weak, but honestly, it makes you a stronger person.

There's still some time this year for dating to pick up — even if 2017 started out in a deep shit hole.