Why A Conservative Woman Like Me Refuses To Vote For Donald Trump

I love this country too much to do it such a great disservice.

37
The Wildcats Roar

With the 2016 presidential election coming up in less than a month, I cannot bear to hold my tongue any longer. We have two candidates running for office who have divided this nation further than anyone thought they would see in their lifetime. So much so, that it's gotten to the point where people are too terrified to tell others who they plan on voting for. Before this election, partisan politics simply irritated everyone from June to November, and even afterwards until the inauguration; but one way or another, many of us knew that our country was going to be okay because both candidates were at least qualified in some way.

This year, I only see one qualified candidate. Unfortunately, they don't share the same party affiliation as me, but thankfully, we don't vote for the party, we vote for the person. As someone who loves her politics red, I never thought I would cross party lines in my very first election, but I just cannot find it within me to support the Republican candidate Donald Trump. Here's why:

As a woman...

This man berates women and talks about us like objects. This isn't something new, and it won't stop if he makes it to the White House. He viciously tormented Carly Fiorina for her looks, and Megyn Kelly for her personality at the very beginning of the presidential race. Just a week ago, a video emerged where he was featured spewing very vulgar language about the women he's interacted with, clearly showing his lowly view of women. These are just a few examples of what he has done, and what he has done publicly, but it only takes one time to show what your true character is like. I know many, many, strong, intelligent, passionate, vibrant, and independent women, all of who deserve to be valued, taken seriously, and treated with dignity and respect. As someone who loves all of the women and girls in her life, and plans to have daughters some day, I just cannot fathom telling them that I checked the box for someone who could not care less about them.

As a Christian...

We are taught not to believe in false teachings, but instead to spread the good news, to love everyone with the love of Christ, and most importantly, to put God first. The people Donald Trump expresses his love for are very few, if any at all, and his plans for this country will leave so many people at a disadvantage. His words come from a place of hatred, where certain groups of people feel threatened by the very thought of his name being placed on the ballot. He brings out the worst in people, as we've seen with the many fights that have broken out in his rallies. He gets people thinking only of themselves, and not about what is good for others and the country. With that said, his views and political agenda only reflect worldly and materialistic ideals. Is that the kind of leader that God wants for us? I don't think so. We need a leader who brings out the best in everyone. Who inspires people with the positive words that they speak. Someone who represents the faith that this country was founded on. That person is not Donald Trump.

As a conservative...

This is not the party that I know. The reputation of the Republican Party has been completely tarnished for the rest of its existence, and it only took 6 months to do so. To be completely honest, Donald Trump embodies no conservative values whatsoever. To say he does is just insulting. He took on the Republican Party and transformed it into his own, leaving the party broken and in extreme need of repair. He makes Republicans look tuned out, heartless, greedy, disrespectful, weak, and defeated, just to name a few. The whole point of having a party nominee is to put forth our best person; someone who best reflects us and our visions. Trump has done the complete opposite. He's shown the worst side of us, and completely diminished any credibility we've ever had.

As a supporter of our military...

There have been many occasions where Donald Trump has completely dishonored our military. Let's not forget that he called prisoners of war losers because they were captured, that he prefers people who haven't been captured. A man gave him his hard earned and sacrificial purple heart, in which Trump replied "I've always wanted one of these." Service men and women who suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) are viewed as weak in his eyes. Need I say more? None of these comments are something to take lightly. For people who go out and risk their lives every single day in order to protect us and our freedoms, they deserve the utmost respect; especially from someone who they could potentially be referring to as their Commander in Chief.

As someone who cares about others...

I hate to see anyone in need or left out. I try to do everything I can to make everybody feel like a somebody. I try to give selflessly without keeping score, help others before myself, and genuinely want the best for people. I cannot say the same for Donald Trump. He would rather lift only a few people up at the expense of many, belittle people to heighten his self-esteem, and walk all over people on his way to the top. He says the most repulsive things about people, and then later takes them back as a joke, or labels the phrases proudly as being "politically incorrect". These statements are more than politically incorrect. They're crude, deplorable, despicable, and something that no president should ever say about their citizens.

As someone who believes in standing up for what's right...

I cannot for the life of me condone anything this man says or plans to do. Voting for him is showing a lack of empathy and respect for others, and shows no appreciation for all of the progress that this country has made and continues to make. It would be a huge step backwards, and a slap in the face to many people who have been affected by his hateful attitude. Many people talk about their disgust for bullies, and how we should fight harder to make sure that no child gets bullied because of the serious long term effects. If Trump gets elected, it's basically denying that claim and endorsing bullying. To call it "bullying", however, would be too juvenile a term to describe his behavior. A better way to describe his actions would be to say that they are oppressing, hostile, heinous, and detestable. Is that the example we want to set for our kids? Is this the image that we want to put out for the rest of the world? With a world that is already full of so much hate and divisiveness, we should not allow for the most highly regarded leader of our country to inspire more of this hate.

By writing this, I am in no way telling you who to vote for. I'm simply explaining a few of the many reasons why I refuse to vote for a particular candidate. I love America dearly, and have greatly respected the presidents of my time. I would like to continue to have respect for them, and have the chance to elect a leader who in turn will respect me, as well as every other American citizen. This country is too great to have someone holding it's highest office with only the interest of themselves in mind. And to vote for Donald Trump would be doing this country a great disservice.

"Choose what's best for your country, not just yourself."