Why Community Colleges Shouldn't Be Overlooked

There's opportunity to be found everywhere, if you're willing to look.

58
Stewart Perry

I don't know about you, but at eighteen years old I wanted nothing more than to have the 'college experience'. I wanted to live in a dorm, I wanted to make new friends, and I wanted to rush a sorority. I wanted everything that came with that college experience. Sadly, that wasn't my reality. In my junior year, I was faced with a cognitive diagnosis that would hinder me more than it would help me. That isn't what I'm here to talk about, though. The Community College of Rhode Island was my only choice. Let me tell you, I was upset that I was going there. I felt as though it was a remedial school for people that couldn't make the cut to go a 'real' school. I was so incredibly wrong. I've spent four years and counting as a student at CCRI, and I've had some of the most amazing educators, gained incredible internship experience and I've been afforded so many opportunities that I may not have had somewhere else.

During my first year of college, I sat down in an English class with a professor that I initially thought would be absolutely insane, and for one reason only. He sat us down, told us to take out one single piece of paper and write down five reasons we hate English. Naturally, I've always loved English so I left the paper blank. Little did I know, this professor would prove to be one of the most pivotal people in my academic career. In my fours years of college, I took every English class I could take with this professor, and he proved to me that my serious lack of confidence in my writing wasn't valid. He gave me the opportunity to prove to myself what a writer I am, and that I was more than capable of pursuing a higher education, far beyond what I ever thought.

Community college allowed me to discover my love for politics, which seriously shaped my career and the rest of my academic life. During the summer before the 2014 semester, I was scrolling through the list of available internships, and I came across one that dealt with the state political parties. I submitted my resume and hoped for the best, not really knowing if anything would come from it. As it would turn out, I got that internship. That internship turned into an incredible catalyst for me. It led to a second internship in legislation at the state house, a role on a public access TV show, and it eventually led to me being appointed the vice-chairwoman of a state political organization. So many people believe that community college will hinder your opportunities for success, when in reality the opportunities are out there if you really go out and pursue them.

Community college afforded me the chance to work full time while also pursuing my education. It allowed me to experience different jobs that might not be afforded to a traditional college student. Because I was able to take classes online and at night, I was afforded the opportunity in 2016 to work as an officer with the US Department of Homeland Security while still pursuing my education.

I didn't get that job for no reason. In fact, I wouldn't have even known about that job if it weren't for a homeland security professor that encouraged me to take the step and apply. I wouldn't have had the vast majority of the opportunities that I've had if it weren't for the Community College of Rhode Island. At commencement this year, I was profiled as a graduate to watch. You can view that article here. During the president's commencement speech, she talked a lot about calculated risk taking. Although the Community College of Rhode Island was a risk for me, it's something I'll never regret. It's a place that has given me the experience and necessary skills to move on in my education, and for that, I'm forever grateful. It also goes to show that the opportunity to succeed is out there if one is willing to pursue and put the work in.