Why Carleen Turner's Letter Is An Example Of Rape Culture Today

Proving rape culture exists by saying "I am abundantly proud to call him my son"

332
ABC News

Click here to read Carleen's Letter

Carleen Turner,

I'm going to skip an introduction and all the BS other people will say to you: Your son is a rapist. It does not matter how respectful he was as a child. It does not matter how many organizations or sports he was involved in. It does not matter how much time he spends with his family. He is a rapist.

It's easy for a parent to be in denial when their child has done something unspeakable, especially when they have a close relationship. After all, a parent's job to to always take your child's side and to protect them. This case is an extremely different situation, and your child's actions tore a young woman apart, more than you will ever understand.

Bringing up all of Brock's past achievements from when he was a young child to when he was a high school athlete is completely irrelevant. Not all predators hide out in vans and hand candy out to lure their victims in. Some of them end up being the "nice and shy" boys that you actually described your son as. No one cares about his GPA and dedication to sports, we care about how he raped an unconscious woman behind a dumpster at a college party.

As a woman and having a daughter of your own, I would expect more from you. What would your reaction be if, God forbid, your daughter was this young woman? Completely intoxicated and found there lying on the cold ground with dirt and pine needles left inside her, while her rapist runs away from her when he's caught. Would it be the same as you are reacting now? Would you take the rapist's side if he had a "bright future" ahead of him?

In 2012, RAINN posted a shocking statistic which is still pretty relevant to today since not much has changed: 97 of Every 100 Rapists Receive No Punishment. For you to beg the judge for a lighter sentence than he already has, when he deserves so much longer, shows how you play your part in this statistic. For some reason, most people jump to the conclusion that the victim is lying about it and give the rapist a lighter sentence or no punishment at all. According to an FBI report in 2013, only 5-8 percent of false rapes are recorded every year in the US, which is less than the 10 percent of false thefts that happen. It's not common at all that she is lying about any of this, and how could she? She doesn't remember anything, she was unconscious! The story is going by the two brave men that found her and stopped your son, and your son himself.

Saying how heartbroken you are and no one will ever understand it is not only an insult to this young woman but to all women who have been sexually assaulted. It's understood why you'd be heartbroken if you weren't in denial, but openly saying you know your son is a "good person" and to ask for a lighter sentence is disgusting. He ruined this woman. He deserves to pay the price.

A mother's love is unconditional, but not understanding that your son has committed an unforgivable crime and should be punished is something you won't be excused of. Do not condone this behavior and say it was a simple mistake, because it wasn't. Alcohol doesn't rape people, rapists rape people.

Let's make America safe for all women and men. Let's live in a world where everyone knows what consent is.

Thank you,

Every woman in America