Being Self-Absorbed Isn't All That Bad

Being Self-Absorbed Isn't All That Bad

Sometimes, only worrying about yourself can pay off.
353

For the entirety of my life, up until a few months ago, I spent almost all of my time thinking, and worrying about how other people would see me. I assumed that people would only have bad things to say about me, working myself up and making myself sick. Looking back on the amount of time I spent worrying about hypothetical situations makes me disappointed in myself because I know I could have spent my time doing better things. And I kick myself for not listening to my mom the first time she told me, "Stop worrying about how other people see you, or what they think of you. Chances are they aren't even paying attention to you because they are so caught up in themselves." I wish I could have heard what she was telling me, I wish I had taken it to heart and moved on with my life. But somethings you just have to learn the hard way. As much as I hate to admit it, my mother was right: I should have never spent my time worrying about what other people think of me because 1) What do I care about what other people think of me? and 2) People don't care in the first place!

I learned that almost everyone, especially teenagers, are self centered in one way or another. Now so more than ever before since cell phones have become an addiction that we can't shake. It amazes me whenever I look up from my phone, to see just how enveloped we can become with our technology. We are sucked into a material world where everyone is worrying about their image. This is a blessing and a curse. Unfortunately, our lives have become centered around social media and our presence there, but good new for me because I don't have to worry about other people noticing me when their eyes are glued to a screen.

Self-centeredness is not always a bad thing. In the case of an anxiety filled teenage girl, it can actually be solution to all her problems. Once she realizes that everyone around her is too busy looking at themselves to even think about her, the worries vanish.

The most important thing to remember is that people are probably fight the same internal battle; they worry about what other people think of them. But can't they see? Everybody else is too worried about the same thing to even think twice about anybody but themselves.