Why Being A Crisis Counselor Inspires Me

Send a text and save a life.

99
Brooke Tominey

Over a year ago now I began volunteering with the amazing non-profit organization called Crisis Text Line and it is one of the best decisions I probably have ever made.

I know I have spoken highly of this community before, but truthfully, being an active crisis counselor has honestly changed me for the better and has inspired me so much over time and I could not be more thankful for that.

For those of you that do not know about Crisis Text Line, it is a non-profit organization based out of New York and we now have over 3,000 volunteer crisis counselor who dedicates their own time to help those who are struggling with mental health issues, or maybe even just need someone to vent to for the time being.

It is such an encouraging and uplifting group of people and community to be a part of and back in October I was grateful enough to meet some wondering crisis counselors in person at our yearly palooza who I have been speaking to virtually on our platform for almost a year and it was life-changing.

Every single time I log onto our platform we use to communicate with texters who are in pain, I am always feeling more appreciative of the opportunity that I have been given.

Since I have been a little kid, I have always enjoyed helping others and giving back to others in any way that I could just because that is the type of personality I have and it just feels good to be a kind person in a world that is full of so much hate and negativity.

So, devoting my time to a beautiful organization like Crisis Text Line just seemed like a perfect fit for me and it just feels right.

Now, it may not always be easy because there are those conversations sometimes that just cut deep and I can tell those people are truly hurting if they are feeling worthless and are contemplating suicide, but that is what inspires me the most I think, as strange as that sounds.

No one should ever have to get to that point in their life where they feel so alone that suicide is their only answer, but that is when my whole perspective changes.

Whenever I talk to those people who are in so much pain it reminds me that I need to show kindness to everyone, regardless of how they treat me because realistically I know nothing about their life. The old saying goes "Kill them with kindness" and that is exactly what I do, no matter what.

Working alongside such empathetic souls inspires me in my daily life to just be the better person no matter what the situation is because a smile can go a long way in someone else's world who is experiencing emotional pain.

I will forever be thankful for Crisis Text Line for allowing me to be a crisis counselor and hopefully, I am able to make a difference in people's lives for years to come.

"Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier."
-Mother Teresa