Why Bayern Munich's Management Conundrum Is A Symbolic Decision For The Team's Future

After the sacking of Ancelotti, Bayern Munich finds itself with a hard decision to make. What does this mean for the team's chance at winning future games?

37

I remember that when I got the news our new coach was going to be Carlo Ancelotti, I couldn't contain my excitement. Carlo Ancelotti, the world-renowned, Champions League-winning coach was coming to Bayern Munich! Along with most Bayern Munich fans, I believed that this was the start of a new era of greatness and winning.

Sadly, that era only lasted only about a year. My optimism was unfounded, for Ancelotti was clearly not the man for Bayern. His calm, lethargic attitude seemed to rub off on the players, and time and time again, I was left wanting a bit more punch and flavor from the team. After Bayern's underwhelming loss to the new-look PSG, Ancelotti was let go of his duties as manager, and Bayern began its search for a new manager in hopes that they would be able to find someone that would help them win once again.

After the sacking of Ancelotti, reports uncovered the lackadaisical manner of which he coached his players. A report even claimed that Arjen Robben said that Ancelotti's training sessions were easier than his son's practices. On top of that, Ancelotti's inability both to contain the large egos in the team and use his players efficiently became much more evident, and he was blamed for the struggles of the team. While shocked, for Robben is usually very conforming to rules and custom, I was not surprised by the fact that many players were dissatisfied, especially after they had been playing at such a high level for years under Pep Guardiola.

When Ancelotti left, the management of Bayern started to look for a new manager. Many names were thrown around, some like Lucien Favre, Luis Enrique, Joachim Loew and more. However, there were two big names that were being discussed to a large extent: Julien Nagelsmann and Thomas Tuchel. Both names are popular among fans, but both had their pros and cons. It seemed as if the management had a tough decision at hand.

However, the Bayern management team then pulled a rabbit out of its hat and instead hired a man that is very familiar to Bayern fans: Jupp Heynckes. I remember I when I found out that Heynckes was going to be the manager for the season, I was... shocked, surprised and happy at the same time. Heynckes was the coach of the treble-winning Bayern squad of 2013, but he retired after that season. The veteran coach came out of retirement to lead the team and to try to stable the ship. He won his first match against FC Freiburg, an emphatic 5-0 victory.

So what does his hiring mean for the team?

The fact that Heynckes was hired shows fellow fans like myself that there was a clear initial disagreement in the front office on who would receive the keys to the squad. Karl-Heinz Rumenigge apparently wanted Thomas Tuchel, the ex-Dortmund boss known for his distinct pressure tactics. Uli Hoeness, on the other hand, was vying to sign Julien Nagelsmann, the young and charismatic German coach who could be the future for Bayern. Both coaches had their flaws, especially Nagelsmann. The signing of Heynckes shows that the front office is willing to wait until the season ends to make a final decision on the future of the club.

In my opinion, I like the decision to wait out the hiring. By signing Heynckes, the management placed the job into the hands of a reliable coach as a stopgap until next season. It's a smart decision by the Bayern management, and it goes to show once again that Bayern has one of the best management staff in all of European soccer. However, I believe that hiring Tuchel would be the better move for the club. While Nagelsmann is a phenomenal young coach, he is currently coaching at a lower club, Hoffenheim. I think that if he came to Bayern, he would face the same problems that Ancelotti faced, leading to an eventual demise. In fact, some of the players are actually older than him. That could create a rift between players and the coach. By hiring Tuchel, Bayern would be taking a step forward in hiring an experienced coach who knows his tactics very well, while keeping their players in mind at the same time.