All The Reasons I Hate My Dorm Are Also Why I Love It

It's a Love/Hat Relationship.
19

Living in a room half the size of a normal bed room is not the ideal living area. Living with a complete stranger who you did not choose to live with. Nothing that brought you together accept living in the shoe box sized room. Absolutely no privacy and they`ll always know all about your life because you have to share it in a room that should not be considered a room.

But also my roommate has became one of my best friends. After a long day I get to come home and vent about life. She knows all my problems and she can understand and be there for me when I have a bad day. She gets me breakfast when I am sick and offers to go out and do stuff when she sees I am sad. So yes I hate not having my own room with my own privacy, but I love the constant feeling of knowing someone is always there for me.

Sharing five showers and five toilets. It can be very awkward in the bathrooms, once again no privacy. You could be using the bathroom and someone else next to you is too. It is so awkward and sometimes the sinks do not work so you have to go to your room to wash your hands but you are wondering if the person in the bathroom with you thinks you are just a gross girl who does not wash her hands. Also the amount of hair in the showers could make a wig for someone.

Although I do at least once a week run into a friend who lives down the hall walking to the bathroom or leaving it. This always starts conversations and leads to come into my room to hang out. Taking a shower is kinda like taking a shower with your friends everyday. You can just have a conversation with the person next to you while getting ready. It is also pretty nice not having to clean the bathrooms because the maintenance people do it for you every day. I hate not having my own bathroom but sharing one with friends in your hall can be fun too.

Not being able to cook has been one of the biggest struggles. As a health nut not being able to cook my own food has restricted me from eating a lot of foods they serve in the dinning halls. Also not being able to just walk down stairs in your PJs because there are always people there that will see you does get annoying.

I never have to cook, so yes this is a downside but also an upside. Having your food prepped and ready for you by just asking the workers to make something in a matter of minutes. Even though you pay for your meal plan at the beginning of the semester, it is very nice not having to pay for food off your credit card. Being able to have someone me a smoothie or get late night chicken nuggets is somewhat worth not being able to cook my own food.

Lastly, having to live in a building filled with hundreds of students. Having to see that guy or girl you made out with three nights ago and instantly regretting it when you see them in the elevator is not ideal. Or having to either take six flights of stairs after a long day or wait ten minutes for a elevator ride just to get to your room can be quite frustrating.

But getting to see all types of people and friends when you come home or leave can be fun as well. It can be really fun seeing all the different type of people living in these halls together. Sometimes you see people stoned out of their mind in the elevator, or the drunks, even people doing their laundry at midnight. It is always an interesting time coming home late. Not only that being able to see your best friend at any point in time because they live two floors above you is probably the best thing in the dorms.

So yes the dorms suck sometimes and it is definitely different but for the same reasons it sucks thats what makes your first year in the dorms so much fun.