Hey, I'm A "20-Something College Student" And I'm Watching Disney Channel

But that doesn't mean I'm any less of an adult.

160

Since being home on Christmas break, I haven't wanted to do much more than binge-watch Netflix and OnDemand content. I'm one of those people that would rather stay in for the night and curl up with a fuzzy blanket, my dogs, and a snack in order to continue my latest show than have a night on the town.

In the last month, I've finished "Friends," viewed a couple seasons of "Reign" for the second time, and started "Gilmore Girls" for the third time. My binge-watching roster changes up with my mood, like many people's do. One day I'm in the mood for sappy romance, the next day I need sarcasm and copious amounts of laughter with no romance in sight.

But one thing that remains constant no matter how old I get is Disney Channel.

Yes, Disney Channel.

There's something about going OnDemand and seeing all the old DCOMs I used to watch every weekend growing up that provides more nostalgia than my current Netflix shows. It doesn't matter what mood I'm in, Disney Channel always seems to make life better. I have a difficult time picking my favorite show because they were all my favorite at one point or another.

I went through my Hannah Montana phase, where I had her clothing line, all of the play microphones, and pink rock and roll pillowcases. I went through my Kim Possible phase, when I begged my mother for a fake phone and army green cargo pants. Let's just say, that wasn't my best look. I also had my High School Musical phase; I just knew I was the bookish Gabriella waiting for her sporty athletic Troy Bolton. I even had the 'T' necklace with the signature red gem.

I could probably go through the whole list of Disney shows at that particular time and tell you my favorite parts about each. There are things that I wish were actually real, like the wizardry in Wizards of Waverly Place. Believe it or not, my brief binge of WOWP when Christmas break began is what made me start thinking about this article.

Remember that awkward phase in middle school and sometimes even early high school? The phase that everyone has where maybe you didn't look physically odd, but you felt weird anyway? The phase where you swore your days of Disney Channel movies and shows were over and you threw your old memorabilia in storage to be eaten by moths? Everyone seems to have gone through that darn phase. Well, I say we chuck that phase.

We all have to grow up, but why has abandoning our favorite childhood memories become part of that process? Whether people choose to believe it or not, those memories are what make us into the adults we become. So, if that's the case, we shouldn't be ashamed that we wanted to live in a hotel like Zack and Cody or see the future like Raven.

And once we pass that awkward phase, it's almost like that childhood restarts.

One of my first movie nights at college included none other than an HSM sing-along, complete with Snapchat videos to document how all of us still remembered every single word. My friend group has also reminisced several times about our favorite childhood memories and plenty of those include Disney Channel at the heart of them.

So, why should it ever have to end?

Can you imagine how much happier our lives would be as young adults if we chucked that awkward phase and continued to binge-watch Disney Channel (or Nickelodeon, I'm not biased) whenever we wanted? Just saying, please don't give up valuable Disney Channel time because you're worried about acting older.