Why '13 Reasons Why' Does More Harm Than Good

Good intentions does not excuse irresponsibility.

160
Slash Film

"13 Reasons Why" is the newest cultural phenomenon, sweeping Netflix histories and invading social media accounts world-wide. With almost universal praise over the show's authentic look at high school, bullying, and teen suicide among other topics, "13 Reasons Why" has transformed into a voice for victims everywhere, whereas the main character Hannah Baker is seen as a martyr for her journey. The show advocates bullying prevention and suicide awareness and many engaged viewers cheer for its bold bravery to deliver a show centered around such controversial content.

However, there are some out there that see through this transparent mess and recognize this series as irresponsible, emotional manipulation capable of doing much more harm than good.

To those unaware, "13 Reasons Why" tells the story of high-school student Clay Jensen, a sweet but social outcast, mourning the loss of his crush Hannah Baker. After a string of tragedies plaguing Hannah's life, Hannah takes her own life, leaving behind thirteen cassette tapes detailing the reasons for her suicide. With each tape detailing one specific reason, Hannah sends these tapes to the people responsible with a warning: listen to the tapes and pass them along. If not, the tapes will be released to the public and each individual's secrets on the tapes shall be exposed. The mystery begins as an unsuspecting Clay receives the tapes, having to piece together what is real, what is rumor and why he was sent them in the first place.

"13 Reasons Why" starts off embarrassing right from the get-go, noticeably lacking in subtle approaches to convey emotion and plot points. In a classroom discussion, Clay and a teacher define slang as something someone creates that is then passed around through the community...at the exact same time the students in the room are silently passing around a harmful list that Hannah just so happens to be on. The flashback sequences are presented with a glowingly bright color scheme, while the present sequences are shown with muted, dark colors to symbolize the tragic times--I guess Clay's facial scars were just too subtle to express what time period the show is in, huh? And the hilarious dialogue never allows these characters to feel real. A scene in which Clay walks up to Hannah eating a bag of Skittles is so forced, it feels as if an alien took writing credit:

"You know those things will kill you, right?"

"You're eating a salad from McDonald's-the people that make the Big Mac!"

Thanks for defining what McDonald's is, "13 Reasons Why." I never would have known without you.

It's storytelling elements like these that prove just how unintelligent this show believes its audience is. Not allowing it to think for itself, but instead blatantly stating what emotional response should be taken away from each individual moment. But regardless of how it's presented, it's the actual story itself that escalates from "so bad it's great" into something potentially damaging.

Rather than depicting the subtleties of the harmful words and actions we experience on a daily basis, intentionally or otherwise, "13 Reasons Why" portrays bullying through a childlike lens of goods and bads without understanding the relativities between them. Instead of depicting any and all forms of bullying ranging from the subtle to the dramatic, "13 Reasons Why" only depicts the incredibly dramatic and sincerely traumatic events. The bullies in this show are so over the top and cartoony, they are depicted as fully capable of--and in some cases going through with--illegal activity that ruin many lives by the time the final credits roll. Just because "13 Reasons Why" makes the obvious statement about bullying be wrong, does not automatically excuse it for saying or doing whatever it wants to elicit that point. The show does not have the restraint to depict a relatable or wrenching experience in which we all express cruelties to each other sometimes without ever realizing it. Instead of subtle and mature handling of delicate issues, the show relies on blatant emotional manipulation to evoke a point rather than letting the point speak for itself.

Forget the insecurities and self-confidence issues most human beings on the planet endure, "13 Reasons Why" says that true bullying is when every single person in the school is out to get you. Do these things happen? Of course and to dismiss them as unrealistic is just as ignorant as the show's makers, but to simplify the process and write off so many victims with heart-aching stories of subtlety to tell an over-the-top Lifetime original movie falls dangerously close to the "unintentionally hilarious" side of the spectrum. Sequences depicting a classroom made up of extras chewing the scenery with their audibly and visibly disgusted reactions to an embarrassing photo of Hannah are so poorly handled, it genuinely comes off as funny, especially with how clearly insensitive this is to such a relatable and heartbreaking topic. "13 Reasons Why" had every opportunity to be a truly profound experience on just how hurtful words and actions can be to others, but chooses to lust after cinematic drama instead.

Still defending this show for its realism? Read on.

But without a doubt, the most damning sin against this experience is the reprehensible depiction of mental illness, or lack thereof. To quote Neha Shah from NewStatesman

"Suicide is a difficult topic to tackle without being sensationalist or reductive. But '13 Reasons Why' manages to fall into both of these categories at once, depicting Hannah’s suicide as a means of exposing the actions of her peers and making them feel guilty rather than exploring the nuances of mental illness. Of course, bullying can be a contributing factor towards suicidal thoughts and behavior, but it is wrong to portray it as a direct cause – a lazy and unforgivable simplification of the infinitely more complex nature of mental illness. '13 Reasons' attempts to take on suicide without so much as a token mention of the word “depression”.

Hannah's suicide appears more as a vengeful last laugh on the enemies that wronged her rather than her solution to her problems. While that story element might be fine for the plot--politically correct audiences need to be reminded every now and again that anything can happen in the world of film and films are not PSAs--"13 Reasons Why" intentionally goes out of its way to try to depict an authentic experience with important relevance as its end goal. Addressing such a controversial topic and denying mental illness as a conversation starter is a downright disgraceful act that will leave many confused, pained, or personally offended. Mental illness is a genuine problem that demands to be treated with utmost maturity, so how unfortunate is it that "13 Reasons Why" then goes out of its way to depict a world in which seeking help either doesn't exist or always ends unsuccessfully?

In the thirteen hours it takes viewers to watch this series, only one sequence depicts one character genuinely confiding in another for help...and it resides in the final hour, both literally and figuratively. Before Hannah commits suicide in the final episode, she seeks help in guidance counselor Mr. Porter, who, unfortunately, is not ready for Hannah's breakdown. While trying to help, the poor man becomes flustered, telling Hannah to move on. While this sequence does provide the smallest acknowledgment in truth the series ever stumbles upon--many of us might not receive the answers we want in the most desperate of times--it unknowingly invites a new problem: the idea that help is impossible, especially when a suicidal mind has already been made up. When portraying an honest story, examples of what should be done to help are just as necessary as examples of what should be avoided. Ignoring cries for help is an important thing to tell viewers to avoid, but having the show deny any character step in as someone that can orchestrate a therapeutic conversation is dangerous thinking that is sure to brainwash innocent people vulnerable enough to believe such a horrific lie.

But in the show's most depraved act of all, "13 Reasons Why" irresponsibly depicts a graphic wrist-cutting sequence capable of damaging so many innocents struggling with the very problems "13 Reasons Why" is believing its solving. Rather than reaching out to viewers with maturity, empathy, and taste, the decision to present Hannah's graphic suicide on-screen directly defies the advice, research, and intentions of multiple suicide prevention centers. According to ReportingOnSuicide.org,

"Risk of additional suicides increases when the story explicitly describes the suicide method, uses dramatic/graphic headlines or images, and repeated/extensive coverage sensationalizes or glamorizes a death."

These additional suicides are referred to as " Suicide Contagion" or "Copycat Suicides." While this show does have good intentions to depict the harrowing act of suicide, it deliberately puts so many more in danger by doing the very deed this show is trying to prevent. Depicting it in such a dramatic, harrowing way for the entire world to witness...it's as asinine as it is physically repulsing.

The behind the scenes documentary titled "13 Reasons Why: Beyond the Reasons" provides a bit more insight into the shocking level of ignorance the creative team unintentionally shows. In an interview with Executive Producer Selena Gomez, she pridefully makes the following comment:

"We wanted to do it in a way where it was honest, and we wanted to make something that can hopefully help people, because suicide should never, ever be an option."

Meanwhile, Executive Producer Brian Yorkey wins the award for "Most-Inept-Thinking-Of-Any-Human-Being-Ever" with his unspeakable lunacy:

"We felt like if we could tell a story, not only with integrity, but hopefully one that had a chance to really resonate with young people who don't necessarily get a steady diet of truth in their entertainment, and hopefully could stand as something that was an honest representation of their experience."

Yes, because creating a childish interpretation of bullying, presenting a hopeless environment in which help-seeking is always unsuccessful, and simplifying the immeasurable pain of suicide is something you filmmakers should be proud of.

Seriously, where is the voice of reason to call out this horribly misguided thinking and shield innocent audiences from this irresponsible garbage? Stating the obvious "boy, bullying sure is bad" without addressing any of the powerful subtleties that come with the intentions and reactions of the environment would be genuinely comical had it not been for the intense critical praise this show is receiving. Ignoring the almost universal love from many social media users praising the show's "genius" depiction of "truth" and "honesty, "13 Reasons Why" is currently residing in a snug spot at #40 on IMDB's Top 250 Rated TV Shows, a 90 percent scoring on Rotten Tomatoes, and an 8.4 user score on Metacritic.

I refuse to believe I am the only one angered to the point of tears by this.

To enjoy this show is one thing--and if you do find yourself enjoying it, don't let this article stop you--but to genuinely believe this show is an important work of art, I'm sorry to tell you this but you are part of the problem. The bullied deserve a better story, the mentally ill deserve a more respectful assurance and a suffering community deserves a more heartfelt tribute. To write off the entire experience of bullying, mental illness, suicide, and suffering as simplistic, easily avoidable, and guilt-driven is the very definition of "ignorant." To see these filmmakers excitedly brag about the quality work they achieved while the world eats it up is heart-aching for all of the wrong reasons.

Please, I beg of you, avoid this show at all costs. Real emotional peril is out there, under our noses every single day. Do not find salvation in a show that cannot even take the time to address these problems correctly. I promise that you will forever matter. Help is out there. Please seek it.

1-800-273-8255 – The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline available 24 hours a day at no cost at all.