Poetry On Odyssey: Who Am I

Poetry On Odyssey: Who Am I

Our Ancestors Live Within Us
18

Who Am I?

I am Angelou's inspiration

That exceeded limitation

I am Gandhi's patience

Waiting for peace and cooperation

Yet I am X's passion

Violence only in reaction

I am Benjamin's hope

Fighting in a war that will never repay him

I am Bessie Coleman's vision

Saw what could be and wind it

I am Langston Hughes' creativity

Art filled with messages and life lessons

I am Rosa Parks' feet

Willing to stand for beliefs

I am Ray Charles' senses

Redefining magic touch

I am Ali's stamina

Fighting my way to victory

I am Huey and Angela's mindset

Ready to die for cause if necessary

And In Them I Am Born

I am History

Cover Image Credit: Pexels

Should People Label Their Sexual Orientations?

Better question: why are you asking?
658

Lesbian. Gay. Homosexual. Heterosexual. Asexual. Demisexual. Pansexual. Akoisexual. Graysexual. Bisexual. Androsexual. Gynesexual. Intersex. Queer. Skoliosexual.

And the list goes on.

Nobody can seem to agree on whether or not people in the LGBTQ+ community should put labels such as these on their sexual orientations. Well, I’ve got the answer for you.

Stop trying to answer it.

Whether someone chooses to identify, openly or not, with a certain sexual orientation is none of your business. It’s their choice, not yours. Not mine. Not anyone else’s. There are valid reasons for both holding a nameable identity and avoiding labeling sexuality.

Some advantages of naming a specific identity could potentially include making sense of an identity that is different from the normative one, becoming part of a network of people who understand, and utilizing the term as a tool to explore different identities.

Some advantages of avoiding “labels” for sexuality could potentially include feeling free to explore sexuality in its fluidity, avoid what feels to some like constraints, and allowing for the often unclear nature of sexuality.

But unless you are the one questioning whether or not to use a label for your own sexual identity (or aiding a friend in this pondering), then you don’t need to worry yourself with any of this. It’s a personal choice. You don’t need to present an opinion on this if it does not apply to you.

If you’d like more information on the meaning of different terms related to the LGBTQ+ community and movement, see the following super helpful list: http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2013/01/a-comprehensive-list-of-lgbtq-term-definitions/