Where Has Our Wonder Gone?

Where Has Our Wonder Gone?

Does our imagination really have to be lost? Let's take a journey back to our imagination.
26

Today I was looking back at some of my childhood drawings and writings from my younger school days. Then a thought came to my mind. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have that type of imagination again? I looked back on my old poems and drawings that I made about make-believe far away lands. I look back and see how much the time has flown by. That it seemed like just yesterday, where the only things that was on my mind were the playing and keeping my imagination alive.

Albert Einstein once said that “imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there would ever be to know and understand.”

Today looking back on the memories of a more carefree time, I think that I really understand it now. As children we let our minds go wild with figments of our imaginations and playing in make-believe lands. As children there is this imperishable sense that you can be anything, accomplish anything.

But as we grow, as we take on the preconceived notions of the world…it’s as if those child-like beliefs turn to dust. We doubt that our goals and dreams four ourselves are ever going to be a reality. Our imagination is lost.

As Einstein said, “imagination will take you everywhere”.

In this new year, this new beginning. I want to retrieve my child-like imagination. To maintain that part of myself that believed that I could be anything, accomplish anything. Because with imagination we can accomplish much more than we can fathom.

My hope is that maybe you’ll do the same too.