When You're in a Relationship

When You're in a Relationship

Some People Just Don't Get It!

23
When You're in a Relationship
Mark T. Hardy II

Now I know relationships have never been simple, nothing in regards to love ever is--that's why I typically try to avoid it--but it's interesting, to me at least, whenever I see a couple with circumstances far more complex than necessary. They're either in an unstable relationship, where one is far more invested than the other, or in one that's purely out of obligation or fear.

I guess the thing to do about this sort of thing is simply to ask what it is that people look for in relationships? Do they seek something short-term, something that will last long enough for a good time, or something more, that could last a lifetime? In the past, a person's intentions and feelings were more out in the open and apparent to anyone that was paying attention. However, now, even the keenest of eyes can be misguided or led astray. Love is a powerful thing, something that can either mend or destroy the human heart. With such a thin line placed in between, one would think there is very little that one can do to obscure the meaning, but this is no longer the case.

I see it almost daily now, people in relationships with intentions that differ from the another. One may have been heartbroken recently and sought someone capable of mending what was broken, while the other is simply looking for a few nights of pleasure. Another couple could be completely indifferent to one another, but remain together regardless just so they can say that they have someone to call theirs--even if the relationship itself is toxic and abusive. With so much indecisiveness in regards to love, I can't help but think that its very meaning, somewhere along the line, has been perverted, discarded, or perhaps even forgotten.

No one seems to ever know what they want anymore, yet are so incredibly eager to get with someone. There are even a few that go off and get engaged at insanely young ages, which in itself is absolutely mind-boggling to me! Why on EARTH are there people trying to get hitched that early? Are people really unable to stand being alone that much? I mean, being alone isn't THAT bad! You have tons of freedoms that you wouldn't be able to have when in a relationship. You can go out whenever you want, with whoever you want, you can play video games, or watch movies/TV shows on Netflix at all hours of the night, you can have parties with friends, and, most importantly, you can actually get some sleep every now and then! There are more things you can do while single, but those are the more important ones. Now why would you crazy people want to give all that up?

All jokes aside, I get that relationships are fun to be in, but it's all for nothing if you try to force it, especially if it was never meant to happen at all. Some people seem to think the aspect of romance is decided through the art of seduction--which, in some ways, it is--but also think that's all there is to it. They believe love is nothing more than a game that can be controlled. Is that really all there is to romance, to love? Is it nothing more than a mind game, or sex, or a catalyst for storing one's insecurity? Well, with everything that pops up in the media these days, it wouldn't surprise me if that's what some have come to think. But that's what I'm here for, to tell you that this isn't even close to what romance is about.

While romance and love IS, in a sense, a game, it isn't at all the type people are trying to say it is. Romance is a game of CHANCE, not of "who can use the other better." You never know who you'll meet in life, nor will you be able to determine whether they're the one for you right off the bat. This kind of thing takes time and patience, and even then, there's always the possibility that things still won't work out. But, in the end, even if that's the case, there are plenty more people in the world to help you figure that out. So just be patient, everyone, wait for the right time and the right person. And once you do, or think you do, make sure you are there for that person just as much as you are for them, support one another and continue to raise one another up. That's what it takes to be in a relationship that matters. If you don't do this, and choose to rush things instead, you'll be doing more harm to yourself than good.