5 Things You Realize When Your Sister Is Almost A Senior

When your sister is almost a senior, you realize how proud you are of her.
31

With every year that passes I am consistently astounded that not only do I get older, but so do the babies I call my younger siblings. There are certain moments where it stands out more than others, like when you realize your little sister is about to be a senior. There are a lot of things you start to realize when your sister is about to become a senior.

1. When your sister is almost a senior, you realize she is growing up too fast.

She was just a little frizzy haired four-year-old wasn't she? And now she's picking out prom dresses and taking trips with her friends. She's driving your car around then not putting gas in it because the moment everyone was dreading came and she finally got her license.

2. When your sister is almost a senior, you realize she is making her own choices.

You used to be able to tell her to do something and she'd follow without question (although admittedly those days have been over much longer than you care to admit). She's forming her own opinions and sometimes, even though you won't ever admit it, she has more knowledge on topics than you do.

3. When your sister is almost a senior, you realize she's starting a new life soon.

Instead of coming back home to steal all of her clothes out of her closet over breaks, you'll both have to dress out of the bags you packed. She won't automatically be home when you are and you'll have to go visit her at college to meet all of the new friends you know she'll be making.

4. When your sister is almost a senior, you realize she'll always need you

She might be almost eighteen now, but you're still getting late night phone calls about homework in areas you're strong in and she's weak in because you're each other's yin and yang. You might make a fuss about having to stay up late or taking half an hour over facetime to help her pick out outfits, but you wouldn't want her to call anyone else. In fact, before your next outing, you should probably call her to consult on your outfit because if we're being honest she's much more fashionable than you are.

5. When your sister is almost a senior, you realize how proud you are of her.

There are always going to be squabbles when you love someone, whether it's about her picking colleges or you staining the shirt you borrowed, but as you turn to look at the little snaggle-toothed girl you grew up with, suddenly you're face to face with a beautiful, smart and capable young woman who grew up right before your eyes. When your sister is almost a senior, you realize that the world is not ready for her but she is coming anyways.