Chase The Dream

Chase The Dream

When you know, you know.
217

Everybody has a childhood dream. That being said, how many of us actually stick with and fulfill those dreams? As we get older, reality sets in that we probably aren’t going to be a princess or president. (My personal dream was to be a nail technician). Sometimes we even have realistic dreams but they get crushed by someone. Why is it that we let other people dictate our dreams and aspirations? Of course, we need to be realistic with ourselves and be responsible with decisions, but we also need to be happy. Dreams can be anything we want them to be: to be a mom, to move across the world, to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company. No matter what the dream, everyone’s purpose is unique to them and every dream matters.

I once read a book that discussed dreams and it changed my life. My favorite part talked about how if your dream is meant to be you’ll know because you can’t let it go. “Sometimes we may bury that calling for a season or try to walk away. But in the quiet moments, it keeps coming back. It pulls at us and demands our attention.” The decision to chase my dreams was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I spent three years going after something I wasn’t meant for and it ate me alive. To be completely honest I didn’t even really know what my dream was. I just knew 100% what I was chasing after at the time was not for me. So I started searching. I did every kind of test possible: from personality assessments to strengths/skills, and everything in between. Once I finally realized what I wanted, I was relieved but still scared to chase my dreams. What would people say? What if it’s too hard? What if I fail? What if my dream isn’t really my dream? What if these feelings are just temporary? Let me tell you - since the day I said yes to whatever this dream throws at me, I have had an overwhelming sense of peace. I have no idea what my future holds but I know I’m on the right path. Has it been easy? No. Have all of my supporters been on board since day one? No. Have I had to make sacrifices? Of course, but I know in the end it’ll all be worth it.

If you feel lost and have no clue what your dream or purpose is that’s okay. If your dreams change along the way that’s okay. I was recently told, “Your time is never as cheap as it is now.” Explore your options. Try different things. Worst case scenario, you don’t like it and you try something new. Best case scenario, you discover your purpose. Whatever you try, stay true to yourself. Don’t chase a dream that isn’t yours. A dream doesn’t have to be some crazy plan you only see in movies. Your dream is unique to you and that’s important to remember. Do what makes you happy and fulfilled.

Everyone dreams about how their future will be. Especially as young adults, we think about how good things will be once we get through this stage of life…..getting a big house, a nice car, or a cute dog, and not eating frozen dinners or ramen every day. But why do those things just have to be dreams? My dad always told me “If you want something you gotta work for it.” That family-owned restaurant, best-selling novel or thousand-acre ranch won’t come easy, but it’ll be worth it. But I will warn you, don’t have false hope. Your dream won’t occur like a Hallmark movie. There will be setbacks and obstacles you have to overcome, but getting through those hard times just makes you stronger. At the end of it all, you can look back and be proud of yourself.

I encourage you to chase your dreams. Don’t compare your dream or journey to others because everyone is unique and has their own passions. Don’t let others dictate your happiness. After all, it’s your dream, not theirs. If your supporters really care about you, they will come around. You only have one life to live, so why not chase your dreams? Who knows, it might be better than you ever imagined!

P.S. if you’re struggling with your dreams check out “You’re Made for a God-sized Dream” by Holley Gerth. It’ll rock your world!!!