10 Things To Tell Yourself When You Are Not Actually OK

10 Things To Tell Yourself When You're Not Okay

This too shall pass.

247

It's incredibly easy for negativity to crawl its way into your life and affect your mental health. Life can get overwhelming and it's easy to give in to the feeling that you won't be okay or make it through. Regardless of how loudly depression and anxiety clash in your head, you have to stay true and constantly remind yourself that everything you're going through is only temporary. You have to push through and remain positive so you can be the best version of yourself that you're meant to be. Here are 10 things that you can tell yourself to put your depression, anxiety, and overwhelming thoughts in their place.

This is only temporary 

Everything you're feeling right now is only temporary. It's just a speed bump or pothole on the road to endless achievements and success. A great quote to always remind yourself is "This too shall pass" because whatever struggles you're dealing with right now will soon pass by and they'll be in your rearview. Focus on the road ahead and keep moving forward. Soon, these struggles won't be on your radar and you'll feel much lighter.

Everything will work out 

You will be happy and you will achieve everything you want in life. If your achievements are taking longer than you expected, just remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and Mona Lisa wasn't just a doodle. All masterpieces and works of art take time. If you have to work a little longer to reach your point of perfection, so be it. You deserve the best that you can possibly get. Taking the extra time to get there only shows that the final outcomes will be the product of your finest work.

The journey toward your destination may be a little bumpy at times, but that's okay. You'll get there eventually through hard work and determination, so just enjoy the view and everything will soon work out.

I will get where I need to be 

Everyone conquers life at their own pace. It's okay that your pace might be slower than your peers. The important thing to remember is that you will achieve everything you desire as long as you keep fighting for it. Keep driving toward your goals. It's okay to stop along the way and smell the roses. It's also okay to set cruise-control along the way. You'll still get where you're going even though you're not going as fast as the people around you.

You don't need to push yourself to meet other people's expectations. Good things take time. An artist never rushes when creating a masterpiece. You'll get where you need to be, just at your own pace.

I am good enough

Everyone is guilty of comparing themselves to other people. Social media can be a blessing but in regard to this, it's definitely a curse. We have all the possibilities of making comparisons right at our fingertips and that's a dangerous tool. You can compare yourself to strangers on the street and do the same thing but you have to work harder to hide your reaction. Everyone does it.

You need to remind yourself is that you are good enough. You are capable. You are worthy. You have your own life and you're not competing with anyone but yourself. You're working to improve yourself and be better than yesterday-you or last year's version.

Do not pay attention to other people that are trying to undermine you. They're only doing this because there's something that they don't like about themselves and they want someone to join in their misery. Rise above and acknowledge that you're better than that. You don't need anyone's approval but your own.

My life will be drastically different this time next year

If things aren't working out for you right now, just keep in mind that the future is full of endless possibilities. Think about your future and how different your life will be after you get through all of those obstacles.

You don't have to have your life sorted out immediately. All that matters is that you're making progress — and that progress will guide you to your bright future. Don't focus on what may be going wrong but instead, think of ways that you can improve them so you can move on and minimize the likelihood of the mishaps recurring.

Take it everything that's happening right now, visualize your goals and ideal life, and focus on what you can do to make that happen.

Not everything has to be perfect

Take it from a perfectionist that has an anxiety attack practically every time something doesn't work out how I think it should. It's okay to have a certain idea in your head for how you want something to turn out. You just can't let that perfected idea take over your entire life. You have to remind yourself that not everything will go how you want it to and that it's okay.

It's okay to not have everything in your life figured out. It's okay to just live in the moment and experience life on a day-to-day basis. I can understand that it may not be an ideal thing to ask of anyone but it's okay to just let loose. Everyone takes a different route in life and we all reach "perfection" at different times. Embrace the imperfections, they'll help shape you into the person that you're meant to be.

I won't let other people's achievements drag me down

It's never a good idea to compare yourself to other people. Their paycheck, education, or relationships don't compare to yours. You have to remind yourself that you're only seeing a fraction of their truth. You're comparing your everyday life to the highlights of theirs. Of course, your life may seem like a blooper reel in comparison, but that's the difference between you embracing your reality and them refusing to show people the truth.

We live in a world that's driven by technology. People will only let you see what they want you to. You have to keep in mind that no matter how perfect their feeds look, their reality is probably far from it.

Little achievements are important

If you solely focus on the end goal and everything you have to do to get to that point, you'll inevitably get overwhelmed and disheartened. It won't matter how many forms of meditation you engage in because, if you're anything like me, you'll concentrate on the fact that you're wasting precious time.

Focus on, appreciate, and celebrate the little achievements along the way. Take baby steps and work your way up. You'll eventually achieve your end goal but you'll spare yourself of any extra stress that you would've had otherwise. Take pride in what you accomplish and it'll help you remain positive throughout your journey.

This can be utilized in dealing with depression, anxiety, etc., along with your everyday to-dos!

Remember: keep going, be strong, and believe in yourself — always.

I have the power to change my environment

At some point, everyone feels like they've lost all control of everything around them. The important thing to remember is that you're ultimately the only one that can live your life and make all the decisions along the way. You have the power to choose your path and create the life that you want.

No one is forcing you to make decisions and fall into peer pressure. Your parents, partner, or friends don't have control over you. Do what makes you happy and that will be beneficial for you in the long run, both mentally and physically.

You have the power to turn things around. You have the power to change your world for the better. Take that next step toward success and don't look back.

I deserve the love I try to give everyone else

We're all guilty of putting the feelings and well-being of others before ourselves. Where romance is concerned, there are times when people think that if they manage to get someone else to love them, that'll be enough. You must realize that before you can love someone and they can truly love you, you need to be able to love yourself first. You can't have any doubts toward yourself because you'll inevitably crumble.

Love yourself before loving someone else. Love yourself before you hope someone will love you. If something doesn't work out, you'll be fine knowing that you have yourself to fall back on for support.

Where friendships are concerned, wearing your heart on your sleeve isn't a bad thing. However, you need to be aware of who you give your heart to. Put yourself first — always.

It may pass like a kidney stone, but it will pass.