Do We Even Know What We Are Fighting For Anymore?

Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia/Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia.

31
Maria Marrugo

I am not sure exactly how long it has been going for, but I’m now 20, and it has been going on before I was even born.

Here is the thing, often times we look at first world countries like the USA, and many third world countries think they need to be more like the USA, but I disagree. Every country is different, and just because certain things worked for the USA, does not mean it will work the same for other countries. Specially when Colombia has not been at peace since 1964.

Many innocent people have been kidnapped to prove a 'point'. Last year our president tried to assuage the issue, by allowing the FARC members to resign as long as they would not be incarcerated. When it was time to vote for it, people where divided by who 'wanted peace' and who 'didn't', but it is deeper than that. This is not a win-win situation. And even though there was a slight chance for peace, I was angered by the mere thought that these killers, could just walk away without any jail time; and I was not alone. These people can do all the damage they want, and could potentially walk freely? I understand that sometimes we want peace no matter what, but if this had passed, there would not have been a divide in just people, but the country as well. As a Colombian, I felt like it was a big slap on the face, it would mean that all the damage the FARC caused would be condoned.

Now, the thing about Colombia, and more, in general, the human race; is that some individuals lie so much that it justifies what they are doing. Sometimes people genuinely think that by killing/kidnapping people they are doing what is best. When people lives become another tally mark, who is really winning? The saddest part of all of this, is how beautiful Colombia is, but this is war is not only draining the economy, but depleting the people within it:

Whole Foods does not know fresh, the way I know fresh. The most exciting thing about coming home is the food! Not only do I indulge, but I can eat all I want and lose weight! Why? Because it is actually organic. Not 'fake' organic. You see, people in Colombia grow their own produce in rural areas and then go and sell it in the cities! If you want fresh fish, you simply call the farmers, and you will have it delivered the next day! Talk about supply and demand.

The historic scenes are unbelievable. Colombia was colonized by the Spanish, so off course there had to be a little history left behind. Mostly, it was left through their architecture. The difference between the capital, Bogóta, and the rest is the climate. The warmer climates carry the 'darker' skin Colombian's, while the colder regions, the paler Colombian's.

For the past five years I have been wanting to see los Caños Cristales, located in La Macarena; yes, like the song. Although, it has been a dream of mine, it will have to wait a year or two. Because my family does not want to venture out, because of the 'war'. They are not sure it is a safe place. Although, anything that is considered a tourist attraction will soon become 'safe', because of the money that it could potentially bring in. Hopefully, when the war is over, I could see all of my countries, without any fear. Until then, it will be, but a screenshot in my album.

Today more than ever, war seems like the 'norm'. It is happening everywhere. The Middle East, Africa, South America. Do we even know what we are fighting for anymore?