When Whatever You're Watching Does The Thing

So if you are familiar with CinemaSins you should understand what I'm getting at here. The popular YouTube channel that reviews films and essentially sins the crap out of them has a certain phrase used when the title of the film is said. For the YouTube channel the phrase is "Roll Credits". My brother and I do something when watching TV. We call it "The Thing".So when we watch TV we listen for either the title of the show or the title of the episode. If the episode can actually do both that is impressive. And yes I am turning this into how awesome Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is. My brother refuses to watch it but maybe this will help sway him.

So far in just about every episode of Dirk Gently the title of the episode has been said aloud by a character. Being a fan of "The Thing" this has been immensely pleasing. A couple examples, without giving any real spoilers, happen in episodes 3, 4, 5, and 6. The title of episode 3 is "Rogue Wall Enthusiasts" and the character Dirk uses that phrase in a line while talking to Farah, the badass bodyguard character. Dirk is trying to figure out who could have possibly killed the victim in his case and puts forth the idea that, "Perhaps the person or people who killed Patrick Spring were rogue wall enthusiasts!" I cannot describe the amount of joy at hearing the the title of the episode.

Another great one was in episode 4 which is called "Watkin" and the delivery of the episode title was amazing. I almost missed it actually and I was so mad that I did. However, going back and rewatching the episode for possibly the 4th time, I caught it. Yes I have rewatched every episode so far multiple times. I rewatch them all in order when I do. Anyways, the scene involves a maze and lights. Dirk is panicking and shouts, "Burnt and crushed to death like Watkin in 'Star War'!" Yes I realize Dirk said "Star War" and not "Star Wars", but I'm not surprised really. Dirk is a little strange. But I love it.

The best one so far though has been the latest episode, with the exception of today's (December 3rd) since it hasn't aired yet. And when I mean "yet" I mean that as I type this up the episode has not aired yet. I have 44 minutes until it comes on. Back to it though. The episode from last week is titled "Fix Everything". Not only is there a moment of "The Thing" happening that involves the title of the episode but also the title of the show itself. The episode moment happens at the very end of the episode and it's a brilliant end too.

Dirk and Todd (Dirk's unwilling friend and partner in crime) are in a bit of pickle and trying to get away. There is a lot going on in the scene. The line though is delivered by Dirk: "There's not going to be a murder Todd, We're going to fix everything." How's that for a teaser? I have to wait to hopefully find out what fixing everything will entail for another 35 minutes.

The best moment of "The Thing" though was in the middle of the episode. Dirk is with Farah at this point. Dirk is imagining his agency in the future and while it is quite an endearing moment I couldn't help but panic as I knew who was looking for him. It was a brilliant moment of dramatic irony in the show. Besides the panic I suffered Dirk cheerfully proclaimed the name of his agency to be "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency". That was big moment. The ultimate happening of "The Thing", and also a moment where as a fan of CinemaSinsI couldn't help saying "Roll Credits" out loud. It was simply the best.

So if you are a lover of film and television I think you too would enjoy this moment. If you're simply a lover of CinemaSins as well this is an enjoyable moment too. It's a little thing that my brother and I enjoy when watching movies and TV. I thought I would share this little tidbit. I have 24 minutes now until Dirk Gently comes on. Oh I hope my questions get answered.