When to Stop Mowing Your Lawn Before Winter?

Lawn

13

.

In the fall, you have to decide when to stop mowing your lawn before winter arrives. Many factors determine when you should stop mowing, including the temperature, how much sunlight there’s been, and what type of grass you have growing in your yard.

According to Lawn Care Specialists, if you mow your grass when it’s too late in the season, you could kill off your grass or even let weeds take over. This article discusses all of the important factors that go into making this decision, so you know when to stop mowing your lawn before winter arrives without harming your grass or letting weeds take over!

The Best Time to Stop Mowing Your Lawn Before Winter

Grass that does not go dormant until the soil temperature reaches 45 degrees Fahrenheit needs to be lowered before it will go dormant. Warm-season grasses should be mowed once the air temperature gets below 60 degrees, and cool-season grasses should be mowed when the temperature falls below 50 degrees.

The easiest way to know when it's time to stop mowing is by looking at the leaves on your trees. The best Lawn Care Specialists can see the leaves on your trees or if they're starting to turn, it's a good idea for you not only to stop mowings but also fertilizing.

This will help ensure that you don't lose any of your lawn during the winter months. You should also make sure that you have a plan in place before winter arrives so you know what services are going to be needed.

For example, do you need someone who can clear snow from around the house? Or do you want someone to come out and plough the driveway once a week? Making these decisions ahead of time can make life much easier during the winter season.

8 Reasons for stopping

1. You're out of lawn mower gas

2. You don't want to take a chance on more than one snowstorm happening before you can get gas for your lawn mower again

3. The forecast says there is a better than 50% chance of getting at least one snowstorm this week

4. It's getting dark earlier and earlier, which means it's going to be difficult for you to see

5. If you have an electric lawn mower, the likelihood that it will die during the winter increases because colder weather makes it harder for batteries to hold a charge

6. If you have a battery-powered or manual push lawn mower, you'll need to do some research to find out how long the blades should last in cold temperatures

7. On average, blades will last two weeks with constant use in below-freezing temperatures

8. Once they start chattering and shaking when they come into contact with grass, they are nearing the end of their lifespan

The process of stopping

The first step in the process of stopping is determining when you should stop mowing your lawn. According to Lawn Care Specialists, you should stop mowing as soon as the grass starts to turn brown or go dormant. If you are not sure if it is time yet, use this helpful online tool.

The second step is figuring out how to care for your lawn once it has stopped being mowed. You can use a rake or leaf blower to remove dead leaves and pine needles before they become a problem for your garden and walkways. Grass clippings can be left on the lawn where they will break down into compost over time.

Just remember to bag them up if they start piling up because they will attract unwanted pests and rodents during the winter months. Once you have cleaned up all of the fallen leaves, collect any branches that might have fallen during the winter storms.

Make sure there is no rotting fruit lying around that might attract pests as well. Always remember to water trees every week so their roots do not dry out too much in these cold months.

Other things to consider

1. If the grass is in good shape, mow it for the last time about two weeks before the first expected frost date and let it grow taller. This will help insulate and protect the roots from cold weather.

2. Fertilize your lawn with a fall lawn fertilizer about one week before you stop mowing, as this will provide some additional nutrients for your lawn as well as act as a weed preventer.

3. Finally, make sure that you have plenty of water available for the plants over winter so that they don't dry out.