When Is It Safe To Say Anything: Rebelling Against Unconstitutional Hatred

Rights that are treated as privilege.

20
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/10/11/636433467157541332-1129394058_annie-spratt-37953%20(1).jpg

The cost of living is outrageously high these days. And I do not mean economically (although that applies as well.. separate piece for another time). But more so, the social climate and the endangerment of those who dare to exercise their first amendment RIGHTS.

Disclaimer: For the purpose of this article the word “RIGHTS” will be capitalized and in bold font due to the misconstrued perception of what rights are and should be institutionalized.

Now, that the trajectory of this piece has been mentioned. Yes, the cost of living is CRAZY expensive because the expenses are endless. I mean, let's go down the checklist, shall we?

Freedom of Religion and Assembly? If you aren’t orthodox, you’re up for questioning...and what exactly is orthodox? Good question, I mean have you ever even asked yourself? Is it Christianity and if so, who made such a standard? (AND yes, I identify with believing in Christ, which is the base root of my religious beliefs. However, the wild hatred, fear, assumption and judgment that is associated with “other” religions, is not only despicable but UNCONSTITUTIONAL... Just as everything else, I’m preparing to further mention).

So shall we continue?

Freedom of Speech... Yikes! I mean the title says it all, right? What can you say these days without being “trolled” or ostracized? Opinions are the breeding ground of offense and lately, it has been becoming more apparent that opinions, stances and values have been costing people their livelihood.

RIGHTS, yeah right? Jemele Hill is a prime example of how freedom of speech is curtailed as a privilege rather than a RIGHT. The ESPN journalist has recently been suspended for two weeks due to tweets in which she suggested that NFL protesters shift their attention and focus towards advertisers for an impactful effect.

Her latest NFL tweets followed weeks after her mentions of President Trump being a white supremacist last month. An opinion that is solely hers to own, yet is shared by countless Americans who one, either don’t have the following for their opinion to catch any media coverage or two, are too passive to publicly voice such on social media. Either way, of course, because of the ridicule she experienced by White House Administration such as White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders who with no hesitation told reporters that Hill should be fired for her comments.

Or the President himself, spewing tweets of attack, it is clear that it is “unsafe” to utilize your voice. Talk about blurred lines? The president himself actively uses his voice via the social apparatus Twitter to comment on popular and social manners such NBA champions refusing to accept an invitation to the white house rather discussing his plans to aid for OUR hurricane survivors, yet a journalist should be fired for “voicing” her thoughts like our president does? Again, talk about blurred lines! As Symone D. Sanders tweeted “... the double standards are staggering y’all.” I’d have to agree and even suggest that THE STANDARD ARE COLLAPSING! The bar of hypocrisy has been set long ago as the standard in this country.

Yet, what we don’t know often harms us. And what many did not know and still do not know is that there are legalized manners in which your first amendment RIGHTS can be curtailed to being less than. For example, in Hill’s case yes, she absolutely has freedom of speech. She can tweet Trump, his tacky administration (see there, the term “tacky” is me utilizing my RIGHT), NFL administration and whoever else she pleases... Well, whoever she pleases for the most part... (pay attention to the last four words).

Her RIGHTS with ESPN, HER EMPLOYER (AND A BIG ONE, might I add) clearly has a different interpretation, in which we get into the sanction of her private-sector employer (who again is also known as ESPN, one of the big leagues). Violation of sanctions can bring about a storm of legal mess, and horrific battles.

So, again I ask where’s the freedom? Had Hill kept her opinions to herself, or better yet just kept her truths in the privacy of her home she would not be suspended from her job, but to what extent?

Sadly, people are silenced within the workplace every day. People opt out of sharing their perspective of living in the U.S. every day, because they fear if they rock the “boat” too hard they’ll be thrown overboard. In which, our president has demonstrated finely, that as captain of the ship he authorizes all dismissal.

And of course, can we talk about protest. If there ever was a sense respect for that RIGHT, it’s clearly been disregarded with the rest. I heard with my own ears that when protests are disruptive they’re problematic. My response to such is that if a protest is not disruptive than is it even a protest at all? You see, disruption and violence is not to be confused, they’re still two separate definitions with two different impressions. In spite of the violent and fatal treatment of black lives, and specifically black males, many and too many might I add are still questioning why men and women are taking a knee during an anthem instead of why knees are knelt on in the streets while the outline of once breathing bodies are now being chalked out.

It seems as though the disruption is harmful and perhaps in the eyes of the oppressors as being violent when it combats what they believe. Consider Colin Kaepernick, would you?

A man who has successfully used his professional platform to advocate for educational experiences and conversations to combat brutality. However, due to his decision to kneel during the national anthem, his protest is now deemed a “harmful disturbance” that many including the president of this country view as being dismissive and ungrateful. I cannot count how many times I’ve consumed the phrase “you just don’t do that” concerning the flag of this country. Yet, I always question what exactly is it that “we” do and how are “we” okay with doing it?

“We” dare not sit during the pledge of allegiance, kneel during the national anthem, show any discourse to our country and those innocent lives that have fought for us. Yet, “we” accept the lives… innocent might I add of our own, the ones that our beloved soldiers have fought on the front lines to protect being killed off by our own “law enforcement”. We accept the shedding of American blood on American soil by men and women, that are too American and are paid American dollars to protect American citizens. That’s what the “we” have allowed, and as the people, WE have to continue to stand against such hypocrisy.

There is no disrespect to the military forces, there is no unlawful, unmerited lack of pride in a flag. It’s PERSPECTIVES and the sooner as a country we understand that AMERICA hasn’t treated us all the same post- slavery the less time we’ll spend arguing over loyalty. Until people of color in the military get the honor they deserve by having the assurance that their relatives will still be alive when they return... There is no anthem to stand for nor no flag to pledge to.

Kaepernick said it best. "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

There are people getting paid to report and will be fired if they dare to feel deep enough to speak up. There are people who are told every day in their places of work that this “isn’t the place," or “this isn’t the time” when in reality the place and time are always because around the clock, injustice is occurring.

There are people on political platforms… the very platform of power curtailing our RIGHTS, pigeon-holding our options as if we are limited.

“Land of the free, home of the brave” for those who are brave enough to take their freedom.

There are many ways to rebel… it is not a one shoe fits all because as I’ve reiterated several times not everyone can lose it all! Yet, in your own way and in your right may you first, check the integrity of your heart and proceed to further unify the UNITED” states.