You Were Complete Before You Fell In Love

A letter to my future self. Don't forget me.

12
Disposable Photography

My dearest future self,

You're not in love right now. Not even close. At this age and in this context of you life, it seems like everyone that you know if falling in love, getting married, and running off into the sunset that is the rest of their lives. They're happy, but so are you. Remember that you were complete when you weren't in love.

You feel a little bit of pressure from the world right now to find someone to spend the rest of your life with. Most of the movies and shows that you watch have that timeless romantic element in it that everyone craves at some point in their lives. Your friends "just want to see you happy," so they tell you about all the great people you should really get to know because you "never know."

Your family may think you're getting a little old and that you should really start dating, but don't listen to them. Don't listen to any of them. You are so happy right now.

I can't stress this enough, so I'll say it again: You were complete when you weren't in love.

It must be nice to have found the right person and to feel like you can trust them forever. You have a permanent partner in crime, right? Love is the greatest thing in the world, but romantic love isn't the only kind of love you need.

I hope your whole life doesn't revolve around you love for this person. I hope you didn't abandon the people that have loved you through it all because you're too busy catering to this love. I hope you didn't say goodbye to who you are.

"You complete me," are the words that too often fall from people's mouths when they find that person, but remember how you always knew that wasn't quite right? You are whole and you are worthy and you are enough without them. You can live without them.

None of that makes your love any less meaningful, if anything it makes it more amazing. You don't need to put up with this person, but you choose to. You chose to love them. You chose to go through all the crap together.

Don't forget about your passions because your passion for this person is making all the other ones burn out. You have dreams and aspirations that shouldn't be overshadowed for the sake of one person. For the love of everything, don't let them change you. Don't let them mold you into the perfect person for them. You are perfect the way you are.

Future self, don't forget who you are, where you came from, and who you were meant to be. I'm so glad you're in love, but remember that if it doesn't work out, there is so much more love out there to be had. You will never lack for love. Because I love you, and I hope I still do.