5 Things This Odyssey Writer Does When She Gets Writer’s Block

An experience, by Anna R. Bechtel

75
Flickr

If you are interested in being a writer for The Odyssey, some other website, or a writer in general, you’re going to become very familiar with a certain condition.

And no, it’s not being a grammar Nazi.

It’s that old feeling that is so terrible, and writers get so often, it’s named after us.

Yep, you guessed it…

Writer’s Block.

If you don’t know what writer’s block is, or if you haven’t experienced it, because you will at some point in your life, let me eduacate you guys.

Writer’s block is when someone is completely clueless about what to write about. This can also apply to other careers and activities, if you are confused.

If you are interested in writing for The Odyssey, you have to submit a 500-word article every week. If you are a college student, this is difficult to squeeze in to your already busy schedule when you get no sleep. And if you are an English or writing major, like myself, you already have to do a ton of writing that has nothing to do with “5 Podcasts You Might Enjoy,” which you should read, by the way.

Some of my Odyssey articles are stuff I just pulled out of my a** on either Monday or Tuesday night, or Wednesday afternoon. Hell, this article is currently being written on Wednesday, March 14th, at 3:58 PM. And the idea for this came from the fact that I was having writer’s block and was thinking about it. It’s the equivalent of that Natasha Bedingfield song “These Words,” where she wrote a song about writing a song. And I feel like there are some episodes of some children’s TV shows that have similar ideas, but I could be wrong.

I could bring up the struggle that it is to find a photo that is large enough and isn’t copyrighted, but that’s not important. And I’m trying to use words here.

It seems like my best inspiration comes when I’m under pressure, when I have an idea a few weeks in advance, or in the middle of class.

Here’s how I have tried to find inspiration for my articles when I have a bad case of writer’s block.

Note, this is not a list, this is just things I’ve done. Maybe you could try it.

1. Watched YouTube videos, and written about my reaction to them.

This article came out of using this method.

2. Written about my favorite songs, no matter how old they are.

Have you noticed I write a lot about Taylor Swift?

3. Written about events I’ve gone to.

I haven’t done this yet, but in two weeks I’m going to a really cool event and writing about it. Spoiler alert!

4. Written about TV shows.

I’ll take any opportunity to mention 30 Rock, or Liz Lemon in an article.

5. When all else fails, write about something that annoys me.

My favorite thing to do is complain.

Any fellow Odyssey writers relate to my struggles?

Any non-Odyssey writers relate?

What do you do when you get writer’s block?

And can someone answer my kids show episode question?

Comment below!