7 Things Insomniacs Can Do To Pass the Time

When counting sheep isn't doing the job

38

Some of us are morning people, others night owls and then there are the insomniacs who hate both. We despise morning people for their peppiness while we recover from little amounts of sleep and we loath night owls for taking sleeping for granted. They can sleep but choose to stay awake instead, unlike us insomniacs who lay awake staring at the ceiling wishing for someone to TKO us in order for some shut eye. But being an insomniac isn't all bad if you can look past the lonely 4 AM one way conversations with your cat, and the caffeine over load needed to get out of bed the next morning for class. We get stuff done and try new things and here you will find a list of seven things every insomniac should try instead of counting the thousands of sheep that never seem to put you to sleep.

1.) Let's go for the obvious here and say start a Netflix show, perhaps even take a quiz to see which one to start. Lord knows you have time. Try and pick on with LOTS of episodes (I highly recommend Grey's Anatomy or One Tree Hill oh and for the guys umm I don't know Prison Break I guess) but this will get you through at least a month maybe even two of sleepless nights and make them seem like not such a waste. When your pressing "Continue watching" for the third time you don't even realize it's nearly 5 in the morning. You'll also feel new emotions you never knew existed connected to fictional characters, its such a joy I suggest everyone try it.

2.) And now for the healthier version of Netflix, reading. A book, with words, I know with Netflix around these can easily go forgotten but there is no better feeling than being so wrapped up in a novel that you can't put it down. Attachment to fictional characters can be found in this option as well.

3.) My personal favorite is to write (no duh), anything from a detailed description of the ice cream you wish you were eating to a fictional story where your character actually gets a goodnights rest. Writing can make you feel accomplished and help you find a creative side of you that you never knew existed. 10/10 would recommend, who knows maybe your the next J.K. Rowling and we don't even know it.

4.) Cleaning, yes it sounds dreadful I mean when does cleaning ever make someone smile? But laying in a clean bed looking at the organized goodness surrounding you can possibly make you fall asleep quicker. Who am I kidding not even melatonin can do that but hey waking up to a clean space can be quite helpful. Groggily walking through books, journals and clothing can be quite hazardous.

5.) Spa Treatments, guys you too, exfoliate those hands. No girl wants to hold hands with sand paper. Girls grab the nail polish or the latest face mask. Exfoliate the crap out of your legs or soak in a bubble bath. Feel your worries melt away and feel amazing the next day.

6.) Try some arts and crafts, wether it's making canvases for your little or building a book shelf do something productive so in the morning it seems like not sleeping was almost worth it. ( But don't do something loud if you have a roommate, just cause you can't sleep doesn't mean everyone in your building should suffer too.)

7.) Lastly, workout! This is by far the most healthy option and I'm sure the least thought of. Through in an extra round of squats or crunches for the night and chug a bottle of water. Make your body think it's tired and maybe just maybe your mind will follow.

There are the seven things to try and get you through the restless nights of throwing silent tantrums on your bed while your roommate sleeps peacefully next door. Written at five in the morning from one insomniac to another, may you find something to pass the time or better yet a way to fall asleep.