When Choosing a Major...

When Choosing A Major

With so many options, how do you choose?

71

There was a point in time when college seemed to be a fragment of the distant future. Then, there comes a time when that future becomes not-so-distant.

At first, the idea of picking a major can seem like a daunting task. However, it can actually be an enlightening process that helps you discover new things about yourself.

Coming into college, I was dead set on majoring in anything but journalism. Yet, here I am now, in my second semester, studying journalism. So, how did I get here?

Growing up, I have always loved writing, but I never saw a future in it. Majoring in something pertaining to writing was never on the table. I had this idea in my head that I needed to major in something that would provide job security. I needed to play it safe.

My junior year of high school I settled on communications. I was so tired of people asking me what I planned to major in and not having an answer. Communications seemed like a moderately good choice. It was broad and contained some writing, so why not?

However, around the time I had to start enrolling in classes for my first semester of college, I knew something wasn't right. That's when I made the switch to journalism.

Even after all those years of saying I wouldn't major in journalism, I finally took the jump.

Through my process of weeding out majors and finding the right fit, I learned a few things.

Pick a major that will challenge you.

Pick a major that will push you to grow as an individual.
Journalism has pushed me and challenged me in so many ways. I have been thrown out of my comfort zone, again and again. I am currently in what is known as the "weed-out class of journalism," and through all the work, I feel even more confident than ever that I chose the right major.

Don't take the easy way out.

Don't choose your major because you're scared of the alternative.

In today's age, there are so many opportunities and the job market is expanding every day. New jobs are being created with each passing hour, so don't let job security deter you from picking a certain major.

Experiment.

If you are still unsure, test out a variety of classes. Through this process, you'll learn what you like and don't like. You might even discover a new passion.

It's ok not to know right away! So, don't be discouraged. Just because the girl next to you already knows she what she wants to major in and exactly what she wants to do post-graduation, does not mean you have to have everything figured out right now.