What's It's Like Being Grown(ish)

What's It's Like Being Grown(ish)

We’re stuck in this awkward gray area, but somehow it works.

134
Rachel Figard

As college students, we’re in this weird stage of our lives where we don’t quite fit into any set demographic. Sure, we do our own laundry and possibly even make our own meals, but ask us how to pay taxes or what a 401K is? Forget it. We’re what I like to call grown(ish).

Being grown(ish) means eating pizza at 3 a.m. because you can and then going to an interview for some uppity engineering firm at 9 a.m. the next morning. It means being able to get into R-rated movies but still choosing Pixar instead. Having to file your taxes in April but only having thirteen cents in your bank account.

See, we’re at the age where we’re too old to enjoy something like prom, but the thought of a real job terrifies us. We’re stuck in this awkward gray area, but somehow it works.

And here’s why it’s so awesome.

1. This is the one time I can go anywhere without any responsibility

I’m old enough where I can travel alone to another country for a month and a half and have it be completely okay. Sure, I may be (very) broke but I can travel and not have to worry about a job to return to or family obligations.

2. Literally, everyone is broke

It’s a weird communal bonding of having only enough in your bank account for a Cookout tray and maybe a milkshake if we’re feeling crazy. You don’t feel pressured to spend money places because everyone is in the same boat. (Except for that one kid who still uses Daddy’s credit card…)

3. We have this desensitization to subpar things

Whether food, drinks, or living situations, we are exposed to the worst of it until it slowly becomes our normality. Thus, we can rough it ANYWHERE. A hostel? That’s nice compared to our dorm rooms. Street food? That’s a luxury—dining halls have given us so much worse.

4. Comfy clothes are everyday clothes

Crocs and pajamas? Now, that’s fashion and I’m HERE for it. Why look nice when you can double your sleeping clothes as your everyday clothes? That’s what I call being fiscally responsible.

5. We’re old enough to own our place but still can’t take care of ourselves

Now, this one is maybe (not so) awesome but it’s extremely funny as an outside observer. We’re still under the mindset that orange juice cures anything. Flu? Orange juice will fix that. A cough? Orange juice. Gestational diabetes? Orange juice. We haven’t quite understood yet that there are other necessary remedies to illness, but maybe we’ll eventually learn.

It’s an incredibly weird time but hey, I’ll take weird.