What You Need To Create Your Own Unique Bullet Journal

Have extra time on your hands? Destress and organize yourself with a creative journal.

7
Photo Credit: Unsplash.com

If you are looking to pick up a hobby that can elicit more productivity, destress you and bring out your creativity, consider starting a bullet journal. Bullet journaling can be used to log your calendar, wish lists, diary or anything you wish to organize in an artistic fashion. This is a fun activity to take up if you want to decrease your anxiety or simply need an outlet to illustrate your visions. Since it is suggested that you stay at home to preserve your health, all of the items listed will have links to available products that you can purchase online.

1. Find inspiration. 

The first thing you should do when you decide that you want to start bullet journaling is identify your creative style and what you want to use a majority of your pages for. This will help you pick and choose the products you will need to put your vision on paper. There are many different bullet journal methods that you can employ, ranging from very colorful and intricate to monochromatic and minimalistic. You can find some inspiration on Pinterest or other search engines to figure out what products you do or don't need to bring your concept to life.

2. A bullet journal. 

A bullet journal traditionally consists of pages that are dotted in order to allow for symmetric writing and sketching without the visual annoyance of lines. You can find a variety of bullet journals in differing sizes, shapes and colors online on Amazon or Michaels. You should be aware that a proper journal is made with materials that prevent ink from bleeding onto the backside of pages. A quality bullet journal option that comes in seven different colors to suit your style, is Paperage's Dotted Journal Bullet Notebook that retails for $9.95 on Amazon.

3. Writing tools. 

If you are leaning towards a more minimalist bullet journal aesthetic, you should consider getting a set of pens that come with a very fine tip. Having a thin utensil to work with makes it easier to draw, sketch and write on the dotted bullet journal paper. You can purchase an affordable bundle that includes 36 different colored fine tipped pens on Amazon for $8.95. If the bullet journal style you are trying to create requires a more artistic medium, consider getting a set of watercolor paints and brushes. Watercolor painting is easy to learn while yielding very little messes, making it a perfect method to build your artistic vision. You can purchase a watercolor bundle that comes with a paint brush and a 24 color palette on Amazon for $21.95.

4. Stencils and stickers. 

If your bullet journal plan requires many different designs, banners or patterns you should invest in an affordable stencil that you can use to create symmetrical pages and outlines. You can find a set of 20 stencils with many different outlines on Amazon for $12 or browse their other many options to find the perfect design for you. Incorporating stickers or colored tape as a border for your pages or a fun artistic addition can liven up your bullet journals visual appeal. There are many different solid colored or patterned tape bundles on Amazon that range from $8.59 to $13.59. Washi tape is a great choice to consider for your bullet journal that you can find on Amazon as well.

5. Accessory bundle. 

If you are very meticulous about your lines and shapes, you should consider purchasing a ruler with shape templates and icons that you can easily trace. You can find a Helix Angle and Circle Maker on Amazon for $5.19, or if you prefer, a straight line ruler with shape stencils that can double as a bookmark for your bullet journal on Amazon for $4.95. Since you will be writing and sketching with pens and colored utensils that are permanent, it is best to have a way of preventing small mistakes that might ruin a whole page's work, so using a ruler or shape stencil you have at home or purchasing an affordable one will save you a lot of time and effort.

It is important to recognize your visual desires and unique identity when creating a bullet journal. Bullet journaling is a fun hobby that can help you organize your tasks and agenda, bring out your creativity and ultimately allow you to destress.