What You Need to Know About CEREC Dental Crowns

Dental Crowns

11

Having your teeth filed down whenever you have a chipped tooth is not fun. Neither is sitting in a dental chair for hours to get a little enhancement done. When you lose a tooth, chewing can become difficult and embarrassing.

Allure Dental offers an innovative technology that allows them to restore lost teeth using CEREC Direct CAD-CAM technology that is specific to your needs. This technology is less invasive and more comfortable than most conventional methods. Read more to learn about CEREC dental crowns.

What Are CEREC Dental Crowns?

A CEREC dental crown is a dental restoration that uses CAD/CAM technology to create a replica of your tooth, which is then used to make a crown. Modern dental crowns can be crafted from various materials, including metal, ceramic, porcelain, and resin. However, the ceramic used to create a CEREC crown is extraordinarily tough. The CEREC dental crown procedure is completed in one visit.

The Procedure for CEREC Dental Crowns

The CEREC crown procedure is a dental treatment that uses 3D scanning and milling technology to create a custom-fit porcelain crown in one visit. Here's the procedure:

• Examining your teeth helps the dentist determine whether you are a good candidate for the CEREC crown procedure. They look for signs of decay or damage that make it unsafe to place a permanent crown on your tooth.
  • Digital impression. You'll want to open your mouth broadly for the camera. Your tooth will need to be scanned digitally with the help of an intraoral camera. Digital dental surface images are generated by computer software. The computer will take several still images and use image processing and stitching techniques to create a three-dimensional model.
  • Milling. The dentist uses the data from the impression to create a model of your tooth in the milling machine. The model is then used to produce the crown itself—the final step in making sure it looks like your natural tooth!
  • Your dentist will place the new crown on top of your prepared tooth using special adhesive cement and then polish it off with a high-gloss finish to look like any other natural tooth in your mouth!

Advantages of CEREC Dental Crowns

Here are the advantages of the CEREC crown.

• Convenient: CEREC crowns are designed to make your life easier. You can have a crown made in just one visit, and they're usually ready within hours. With traditional crowns, you may have to schedule multiple visits and wait days or weeks for the crown to be completed.
  • No Temporary Crowns: Traditional crowns require a temporary crown worn for several weeks while the permanent one is being made. CEREC crowns are made in one visit, so you don't need to worry about keeping track of a temporary crown.
  • Durable: CEREC crowns are durable because they are made from ceramic instead of porcelain or metal, so they don't chip or break as easily as other crowns. They last for 10-15 years.
  • More convincing appearance: The material used for this type of dental restoration is translucent, giving the patient's natural teeth a natural appearance. Patients will not need to worry about their smiles looking fake or unnatural.

A Disadvantage of CEREC Crowns

They are not available in every dental office. Some offices may not have the technology to create them, or they may be unable to invest in the necessary equipment.

Cost of CEREC Dental Crowns

The cost of CEREC crowns varies by dentist and location. You can expect to pay $500-$2000 for a single tooth.

Caring for Your New CEREC Crowns

Once you get your new CEREC crowns, it's essential to care for them properly so they last a long time. Here are some tips to follow:

• Brush and floss regularly. Brush your teeth at least twice daily with fluoride toothpaste, and floss at least once daily. You may also want to use an antimicrobial mouthwash or rinse further to reduce the risk of harmful bacteria in your mouth.
  • Avoid hard foods that cause abrasions or scratches on your new crowns. Hard foods include nuts, popcorn, pretzels, ice cubes, corn-on-the-cob, etc. If you can't avoid these foods, try cutting them into smaller pieces to reduce the pressure applied when chewing them.
  • Visit the dentist after six months for cleaning and checkups—this is crucial for maintaining good oral health, even if you have dental implants or other restorations!

CEREC dental crowns are cost-effective, convenient, fast for the dentist, and are completed in a single visit. That is why they have grown in popularity over their traditional counterparts. Although it takes time to get used to 3D printing and CAD modeling for dental treatment applications, it has proved safe and reliable for adults and kids.