13 Necessities For Your Hurricane Survival Kit

What you should put on your hurricane shopping list right now!

16
Michał Parzuchowsk

As hurricane Irma draws closer to the states, everyone is scrambling to stock up on food, water, and activities that don't require any electricity. Anything can happen during a hurricane. The power can go out, you can run out of food, water won't run, etc. So what do you need to survive?

Before the storm strikes, make sure you have everything you possibly need. I guarantee you won't want to drive to the store in 113 mph winds to grab a loaf of bread.

In order to survive hurricane Irma you will need:

1. Non-Perishable Foods

You should have three days worth of non-perishable food or any food that does not have to be refrigerated or frozen.

Best Foods For A Hurricane:

Peanut Butter

Bread

Beef Jerky

Peanuts

Poptarts

Cold Brew Coffee

Gatorade

Chips

Pretzels, etc.

2. Board Games and Activities

You'll probably will not have power during the storm, so you might want to keep some non-electrical entertainment to keep you occupied.

3. WATER

The National Hurricane Center recommends that you have at least one gallon of water per person, per day. In case you won't have any running water, you will need to have more water for washing hand and keeping up with hygiene.

4. Barricades

If you are in area that might get hit pretty bad by the storm or flying debris, you might want to consider barricading your windows and/or doors.

5. Flashlights and Candles

If you have no power at night you will definitely need something to help you see in the dark.

6. Batteries and Portable Chargers

Just in case you need to run out of power, you have a spare battery laying around.

7. Towels

In case you have some water seeping through your doorway, you can plug up a towel to help soak up the water.

8. Gasoline

Make sure you car is all gassed up in case you need to evacuate the area. If you have a generator that runs on gas, then make sure you have an extra tank in case the generator needs to be refilled.

9. Alcohol

For those who are having any hurricane parties, be sure to stock up so no one has to make a liquor run.

10. Medicine

You never know when a cold is going to strike. You probably won't be able to run to the pharmacy for some benadryl.

11. First Aid Kit

No emergency kit would be complete without a first aid kit. If you're like me, then you're probably going to get injured at some point. First Aid kits are pretty affordable.

12. Extra blankets and pillows

If your house is doubling as a shelter for your friends and family, make sure everyone gets a pillow and blanket.

13. Baby wipes and dry shampoo

Trust me on this one. You might be stuck indoors for days; maybe without running water. Having these around help you stay hygienic.

Hurricanes take a lot of time to prepare for. Make sure you are prepared for the worst. Board up your windows and make sure you have enough water.