What Writing For Odyssey Has Given Me - As A Writer And A Person

My time as a content creator for Odyssey has given me some of the greatest things I could have ever asked for.

37

Writing has always been a huge part of my life. From the time I was younger, probably 6 or 7 years old, I was always reading books and writing my own little stories and songs even. I was always just writing nonsense, but I always felt like I was important and I loved writing, no matter what it was about. For me, it was just something I could do and it came easy.

So on May 16, 2016, when I somehow came across the application to write for Odyssey, I figured I might as well give it my best shot, and apply. The next day on the 17th, in the middle of my second hour World History class during my Junior year of High School, I received my acceptance in the form of a text message from the head editor/contributor of our Grand Rapids group at the time. I was completely ecstatic, and throughout the whole rest of the class, I wrote my very first article in which I went in depth about my childhood and my relationship, rather lack thereof a relationship, with my father and how I've dealt with it. My very first and one of my most accomplished articles.

I wrote for Odyssey Grand Rapids for close to a year, but due to work and other things going on in my life, I gave up my position, and as much as it made my life pressure free, I came back. For the reason, simply that writing gives me a voice, and because I love writing and I fell even more in love with it after becoming a content creator. Becoming a content creator for Odyssey was one of my greatest decisions.

During my time with Odyssey, I have fallen in love with having a voice. I fell in love with the idea that the things I was writing about could be relatable and could have an impact on the life or lives of others. I was and am able to give people my opinion in an open way, without worrying about judgments or disagreements. Odyssey gave me a reason to keep writing, and to write with passion and fire and to never stop doing what I love.

I will admit that college has taken away a lot of the time I used to write, and because of this I've been writing bi-weekly in order to give me the proper time to write the way I've always wanted to, (thank you to my amazing EIC Aubrey for giving me the ability to do so).

Writing for Odyssey has given me a purpose, a job, a position that I love so much, a voice, it has made me a better writer, given me new friends, and most importantly, it has let me do what I love - it gives me somewhere to write.

I love you, Odyssey family - and thank you for everything you have given me and welcome to the newest members of our group, I'm excited to get to know you and read your writing.