What I Will Tell My Future Daughter If She Decides To Go Greek

A collection of what women would tell their future daughters about joining a sorority

22
Leah Elizabeth HUrdle

I talked to girls who are unaffiliated, deactivated or affiliated with Phi Mu, Alpha Delta Pi, Kappa Delta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Pi Beta Phi, Chi Omega, Alpha Omicron Pi, Delta Gamma, Delta Delta Delta and Zeta Tau Alpha.

"I would tell my future daughter to go through rush/recruitment only if she wanted. I would tell her that being a part of a Greek organization that believes in leadership and philanthropy is amazing. I would tell her that being held to such a high standard is hard sometimes. It's tough keeping your grades high enough and upholding the image of your sorority. My sorority changed my life for the better. I would be more than happy for my daughter, if she so chooses, to be in a sorority." –Affiliated

"To my future daughter: In life, not everyone you meet is going to like you. Even when you've done nothing wrong, you can't be compatible with everyone. When you go through recruitment and after you join your sorority, not everyone will like you and it's not their obligation to like you, either. You'll find a handful of people that you'll have a special bond with, that not only like you, but they really truly love you. Once you find that bond, you need to hold on to it and take care of it. I found those people; you will, too." –Affiliated

“Greek life shouldn't be a competition. The right sorority will love you for you. You are a legacy, but it's OK with me if you choose another house. It is smart to make friends with girls in other sororities. They may not have been the best fit for you, but they have amazing girls who can be great friends. I do not want you to put unnecessary stress on yourself. Enjoy this time in your sorority; it will go by fast.” –Alumna

"I would tell her not to pay too much attention to her peers and their decisions, but if she felt the societal need to be in a sorority to go into recruitment with an open mind but to be mindful that the sorority lifestyle is not for everyone. Don't listen to harsh judgments on certain sororities when you haven't seen it for yourself. Don't conform or act a certain way just because that's how people seem to be in the sorority you are in. Make sure you're getting the benefit out of it and not making yourself become less of the person you want to become.” –Deactivated

“I would tell her to be anything but a stereotype. That she's not just her sorority and to remember she has many more gifts to give than her letters. Be nice to everyone and truly care about making a difference wherever you are." –Unaffiliated

"I would tell my future daughter to take in all of the benefits the sorority has to offer. Being in a sorority opens you up to opportunities and connections that are hard to find elsewhere. Most importantly, I want you to know that when you join a sorority, you are there to help make a difference in your community, philanthropy, and chapter!" –Affiliated

"Being in a sorority taught me the extreme inaccuracy of the “sorority stereotype.” The girls in my sorority were brilliant, driven, hardworking and humble: I felt very lucky to have been able to surround myself with each of them on a daily basis. The group of girls I became particularly close with pushed each other, encouraged each other, learned from each other, and immensely loved each other." –Alumna

“I would tell my daughter that joining a sorority is not about creating an identity but creating an experience. Love your sorority and your sisters, but remember to stay true to yourself." –Affiliated

“If my daughter wanted to join a sorority I would tell her to go for it! I went through rush but didn't pledge. It wasn't something I was passionate about or something I wanted to invest a large amount of time in. I have friends in every sorority on campus, and I've seen so many benefits to being in one. It's not for me, but there are a lot of people who really thrive in being a part of one. I would encourage my daughter to join a sorority if that's what she wanted to do." –Unaffiliated

“I think I would tell my daughter that it's OK to decide being in a sorority isn't for her. It's very important to honor commitments, and you should seriously consider the commitment you're making when you pledge, but if you do pledge and realize it's not for you, it's okay to admit it. You can't just flake out on people, there are really important conversations you need to have before dropping, but don't have to stay in a sorority if it's not what you want.” –Deactivated

"I want you to find the group that fits you best and the one you will feel most comfortable. Do not worry about what others think, it's your four years. Recruitment is tough but it's worth it, I promise!" –Alumna

"If I had a daughter, I would tell her that joining a sorority would give her a joyful and insightful perspective from ladies all over the country and all walks of life. It will teach her how to selflessly serve those around her and most importantly, it will give her some of the best experiences of her life." –Affiliated