What I Will Miss (And Not Miss) About TCU

I will miss Chick-fil-a... and BLUU food.

261
Texas Christian University

In a little more than two months, I will be graduating. It just seems just like yesterday that my family was helping an eighteen year immature, naive freshman girl move into the old Colby Hall. A lot has changed since then: Colby Hall was renovated and I have matured over the past seven semesters that I have attended TCU.

I would like to thank God, my family, the generous donors, the faculty and staff at the School of Music, the TCU Honors College, TCU Housing, the housekeeping staff, and the BLUU cafeteria workers who have made my four years of attending my dream school... epic.

There are some things that I will miss about TCU.

I will miss seeing Cindy. Let's be honest, Cindy is everyone's best friend at the BLUU. She's the first face I see in the morning on weekdays and she never fails to make my day. She's always so optimistic even if things might not be going so well in her life.

I will miss Chick-fil-a... and BLUU food. I'm sure that whoever is reading this you're mortified. Gasp! Yes, I do gripe about BLUU food. When you've been eating BLUU food for seven semesters, it gets old. But at the same time, it was convenient. I don't have to buy food at Kroger and find a way (and time) to cook my food. I know that when I go into the US military, the food at the chow/mess hall will not be as delicious or plentiful as the food in the BLUU.

I will miss living in the dorms. I will miss the fact that the Rec center is only a couple hundred feet from my room. I will miss the fact that my classes, the post office, the bookstore, Kroger, the practice rooms, and the library are only a couple minutes away from my room. I will miss bonding with my hall mates on Wednesday nights for Walt and Welches (Disney movies and grape juice) and late at night on the weekends. Most of all, I know the barracks in basic training and on the military base that I will be stationed at will not be as fancy as Milton Daniel. That's going to require some getting used to.

I will miss working out at the Rec for free. Although there will be a gym on the base I will be stationed at, it will definitely not be as fancy as the Rec center.

I will miss my sorority sisters who have been with me through the worst and the best times of my life. They have encouraged and supported me in my journey to know You more.

I will miss the practice rooms. As stuffy and stinky as they were, at least I was able to get things done. As much as I disliked them, I will be forever thankful that they were there. I was able to pass my piano class, Ear Training and Music Theory classes, and Trumpet lessons thanks to those little boxes down in the basement of Waits.

I will miss playing epic concerts under the direction of Professor Youngblood, Dr. Gutierrez, Professor Carter, and Professor Francis. Furthermore, I will miss marching pre-game, half-time, parades, going to away football games, exhibitions, and having the time of my life with Professor Youngblood and the TCU Horned Frog Marching Band. The extra rehearsals and the sweat was well worth it.

I will miss getting lessons from the one and only Dr. Burgess. Because he is "The Man."

I will miss getting to go home during fall break, Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break, and Easter Break. I know that the chances of me being stationed on a base far away from my family are going to be very high.

Not having to pay for laundry. On base, I won't have to pay for laundry, but when I get off base, I will either have to pay for laundry if I'm living in an apartment or buy myself a washer and dryer if I decide to buy a house.

Of course, there are going to be the things I will definitely NOT miss...

Ed Landreth being an icebox in the middle of winter. Or having to bring a jacket to class during the dog days of summer because the buildings are 60 degrees inside.

Not having a sink in my dorm room. As much as I love the third floor of Milton Daniel, I honestly wish I did have a sink in my room. It would make getting ready in the morning and going to bed late at night easier.

Hair in the showers and food in the sink. OK people, when are you going to clean up after yourselves? And the sinks are not garbage cans, btw.

Waiting for a practice room. I just want to get what needs to be done and then leave.

Having to wait for laundry machines or doing laundry in one of the washing machines that decides to take way longer than 37 minutes. Or having to dry clothes for 2 or 3 dryer cycles because the washing machine decided to not perform its spin cycle correctly... sigh.

Finals week. The dorm is a quiet zone. Yes, there's 24/7 courtesy hours (where you should try to avoid blasting music or being really obnoxious in the hallways), but courtesy hours are not the same as 24/7 quiet hours. Here's the thing about 24/7 quiet hours: get a little bit too loud, and you'll have everyone after you. I know that was the case two years ago (fortunately I have mellowed out and I guess I am a little more mature, but I am still a bit obnoxious from time to time). The study pods are packed and people think it's OK to camp out in them (your room is right down the hall in case you're wondering). Everyone is stressed out so you're basically walking...on...eggshells. And there seems to be so much to do and so little time.

All-nighters. I know that putting off things until the last moment is totally a terrible idea and then cramming for an exam or scrambling to finish that 10-page research paper (that was assigned a few weeks ago) is completely my fault. But I will NOT miss those bad boys called all-nighters. Hopefully I don't have to work too many graveyard shifts while I'm in the military because I... need... my... sleep!

Having to pay for textbooks, tuition, room and board, and filling out the FAFSA. At least in the military, I will not have to worry about getting student loans. My health/dental insurance, housing, and food will be covered (hallelujah). I know for a fact that my friends are going to be extremely jealous about the benefits that I will be receiving. I know that they will be responsible for obtaining their own health insurance, paying rent or mortgage/utilities/water/laundry, and food. Yay for adulting!