What The Weinstein Scandals Reveal About Our Society

As an average person, our individual voice may not seem that powerful but together we have been given the opportunity to make change.

43

I was apprehensive to write my article about the Weinstein scandals because simply reading about them made me uncomfortable.

I was so disturbed that I almost couldn’t bring myself to write about such iniquitous acts. Learning about the awful things this depraved man has done deeply perturbed me; I cannot fathom how the victims of his erroneous actions feel. But I realized that reading and talking about sexual harassment and assault is and should be unsettling, as it is an abuse of power. I admire the courageous women who have come forward and are reclaiming their power; they are stronger than the predator ever will be. However, just talking about it is only the first step; we must take it further if we want to actually make any change.

Many of the women terrorized by Weinstein were afraid to speak out against him because of the fear that he instilled in them. However, actress Rose McGowan has been speaking out for months about a “powerfully Hollywood figure” who had allegedly raped her. (latimes.com) I think that’s the thing that doesn’t sit right with me, is that no one listened to her or some of these women’s accusations until they were forced too. McGowan is now calling to have people sign a petition to disband the board of the Weinstein Company. The petition reads: "If you believe The Weinstein Company should completely dissolve after 30 years of sexual abuse against innocent women please join me in signing this petition to honor the victims and their bravery." (businessinsider.com)

The Weinstein Company recently fired Harvey and stated that they are working to change their name, claiming that they were unaware of the horrific acts their colleague had been engaging in. Obviously, McGowan does not believe this claim to be true at all. She tweeted, “1) @jeffbezos I told the head of your studio that HW raped me. Over & over I said it. He said it hadn’t been proven. I said I was the proof.” (twitter.com) She is fighting for the entire board to resign as she believes that they all must take responsibility for their cofounder’s wrongdoings. She tweeted, “You don’t get to change your company name & be done with it.” (twitter.com)

McGowan is demanding that change be made and calling out anyone who contradicts this progression. For example, in response to Julianne Moore’s tweet, “2. But through their bravery we move forward as a culture, and I thank them. Stand with @AshleyJudd @rosemcgowan and others,” Mchowan swiftly replied, “Yes, now call for the board to be dissolved or this means nothing.” (twitter.com) McGowan told the trade, "Men in Hollywood need to change ASAP. Hollywood’s power is dying because society has changed and grown, and yet Hollywood male behavior has not. It is so not a good look. In the way cooler than Hollywood world I live and work in, I am actually embarrassed to be associated with it." (businessinsider.com)

I support and applaud all the brave women who have embraced their worth by refusing to let another person control it. Exposing this criminal for what he truly is ensures that he cannot continue these horrendous acts and harm anyone else. Although as the average person it may feel like we can't do much, sign the petition; speak louder... search for ways to protect other women and teach men not to harass and assault. The unfolding of these scandals were both necessary and inevitable; the well-earned consequences will come to those who deserve it next.