Udemy Is The Online Academy That Lets You Pick What You Want To Learn

It's perfect for curious people and anyone who wants to learn.

303
Nick Morrison

If you are like me, then you want to understand everything about everything.

I am constantly thinking about taking classes that have nothing to do with my degree because I want to understand something. It's what made me want to take Anatomy and Philosophy for fun (spoiler alert: it was not fun) and what makes me stay up to six in the morning because I need to understand more. I have pressing questions and weird, varied interests that cause me to stay up until three in the morning.

This is what makes me like Udemy. Udemy is a website full of courses that you can learn from, in fact, it has over 65,000 classes taught by instructors who are experts in what they are educating. I have already seen at least a dozen courses I have fallen in love with and put on my favorite list.

It's not free but the prices are reasonable and in some cases are ridiculously cheap when you compare it to the bulk of the product your buying. The first one I got is Latin; I told you I have pressing questions and weird interests – it has 21 video lectures, which amount to about nine hours. I do everything in my own time for my reasons. It was about $11 in total, maybe excluding taxes, but I think it is worth the money.

But that's not just what Udemy has; it's not only Languages or Mathematics, it has anything and everything. Want to learn how to draw? Udemy has it. Always wanted to write a novel? Udemy can teach you! Anything and everything!

The next course I want to buy is a Gardening one! I have already chosen it... I just want to make sure I have time to take it.

Another great think about Udemy is that you can upload your own knowledge to share with the world what you know and understand. It's a great community of people teaching one another. If you know how to play guitar and want to share your knowledge, you can upload a short video of how you learned how to play guitar.

I am considering uploading a creative writing course, one of my passions, or a class on Portuguese, from a Portuguese speaker. I think to learn from a native speaker is extremely helpful in learning a new language.

Learning from everyday people is essential to me because these people adore the subject they are teaching and they want you to love it too. We have all had a class where the professor obviously hates what they are teaching, which just makes the class so hard to sit through.

However, this isn't what I would consider tutoring; I'm sure there is a way that you could use it as tutoring, but the website is more focused on teaching you the material for the first time then it is going over the content. For that, I would lean towards Mathway or Khan Academy. Khan Academy especially has grown from being just a math or science tutoring website to a mass tutoring website. However, I think it is more focused on helping high schoolers than university students.

If you like to learn new things but don't necessarily want to pay $700 to take that course in university, then I think Udemy is a fantastic opportunity that everyone should know about and take some classes.